PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a pic. of a flywheel that has been lightened. I am going to take mine to work tomorrow and put mine on the lathe. And I was wanting to see a pic so I know approxamatly wear I should take material off.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
Dude,

Unless you know just how much to take off you could do some damage to your motor. Such as your flywheel could EXPLODE and DESTROY your motor........ what you have to do is spend the dough and get it professonally done and if you listen to the wong person and take too many OUNCES off .............KAAAPOWW..!

GOOD LUCK MAN....OLDSCHOOL

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Hes right, aside from a pic you need to find out exactly how much you need to shave off. As it could explode and totally ruin your motor not to mention harm you if any peices were to fly through the cover.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Just spend the $80 at PRC and take your own pictures. I wouldn't do the home remedy on the flywheel, as you've got a pretty high probability of doing it wrong and wasting your whole motor.

G

·
unless you have done it before just pay to have it done. my dad does his on his flat trackers only because he has done it for a long time. it doesn't really matter how much you take off as long as it is not to much. but you DO lose strength with speed.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well to late I already did it. I am a journeyman machinist so yes I do know a thing or two when it comes to things like this. I just wanted to know if the material was being taken off the face of the flywheel or the OD of it. I will let you guys know how it turns out. Along with the 88 trail bikes kit with head.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is a picture of a ttr 125 flywheel I beleive from BBR's website. And by the way cyclerider57 how do you think your dad learned how to do it. I'll tell you how. He sacked up and just went for it! :D But anyway's it doesn't take much to take off the needed weight.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Scott ;

When you chucked that sucker up , how do you know if the outer edge of the flywheel is perfectly round ? - OR - are they always gonna be perfect ???

I know when I resurface brake drums on cars they are always never perfectly round on the out side edge. I'm sure you know how the drums are mounted up on a brake lathe . I'd figure idda be the same type of set up for the flywheel ?

Plus whadda about balancing the thing again after removing metal ?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is what I did. The face of it miced at .180. So I chucked it up and put a indicator on the face of it and made sure that was dialed in dead nuts. And then I took of .075 off the face only. That took off 2.9 oz. I just put it on yesterday along whith my new trail bikes 88 motor. So I have not reved it to hard yet. Still breaking in the motor. But I will say this it does run rougher now but it's got that early throttle snap like a 2 stroke. Which is what I was after.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Scott ;

I've heard , that is if you don't already have one on your fiddy , that the aftermarket REV BOOSTER cdi ecm's may also make it react even faster ????

( I haven't tried my out yet due to the MAJOR HEAT WAVE we're having in the N.East :roll: :roll: :roll: )

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lighter Flywheel

I know this is not really comparing apples to apples but I have an Xtreme CR107 and I had my machinist turn my flywheel down. I was there when he did it. My stock flywheel weighed 2.24lbs. We were'nt sure how much to take off so we chucked it up to the lathe and took it down until you could just barely see the counter weight drill hole dimples on th O.D., ran it up to the coil pick up and then turned down the oter side of the coil pick up and radiused the outside edge. We only ended up taking 1/4lb. off and it made quite a bit of difference in initial throttle response plus it comes back to idle a lot quicker. We were concerned about vibration and having to re balance it but as it turns out, the thing runs so smooth now. No vibration and it still pulls a 170lb. fat ass off the bottom better than before and will wind out quicker and actually hit the rev limeter. I wouldn't take any more off than we did. We got lucky and got it right the first shot.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.