PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding my 50 on the track the other day. I was in third gear cruising and out of no were the bike bogs down on me and shuts off.

I got it to restart and it will idle but when i go to give it a little gas it bogs out bad.

I first thought my valves got out of adustment because it was backfireing and sputtering.

i adjusted my valves and it still does the same thing.

Im pretty sure its electrical because when i play with the rev box wires it will either die or run a tad bit better.

What do you guys think it could be.

I want to get this thing running again asap.

·
Registered
473 Posts
i would maybe first try giving the carb a good cleaning an if you have a stock rev box or any rev box switch them to see if it helps.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mike3770 said:
i would maybe first try giving the carb a good cleaning an if you have a stock rev box or any rev box switch them to see if it helps.

Ill do that but the carb Is brand new with like 10 laps on it.

I dont have any extra rev boxes to try out but i wish i did.

Im pretty much posotive its electrical because when i wiggled or played with the wires while it was running it would either die or run a tad bit better.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
if your valves didn't tighten up on you, I'd think its probably the cdi box went out on you maybe...

Either that or guess it could be the stator, I'd definitely try a good CDI first though, and make sure its grounded good and no bullet connectors are loose

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
try to borrow a known good rev box , if thats not the problem try a known good stator , the little black box on the stator sometimes just goes out without warning.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mine did that to me yesterday too..I was doing wheelies..so I thought it just drained the bowl..even though I wasn't vertical at all..so it should'nt have done that.

but it bogged down in 2nd...and it would not start.

Went out there later in like 3 hours..started right up.

Started this morning and ran fine..so confused because one time I was out at 2 in the morning riding with a buddy..and both our bikes all of a sudden just died like right after each other..and both would barely run..just sputtered. I thought it was the air pressure..

We went into town to the Jack In the Box..both started right up:confused:

Goodluck on the fix Fiddy,

should I check my connections?

I know I'm getting spark, and fuel on both bikes..but I never thought of the rev box

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
UndefinedT said:
Mine did that to me yesterday too..I was doing wheelies..so I thought it just drained the bowl..even though I wasn't vertical at all..so it should'nt have done that.

but it bogged down in 2nd...and it would not start.

Went out there later in like 3 hours..started right up.

Started this morning and ran fine..so confused because one time I was out at 2 in the morning riding with a buddy..and both our bikes all of a sudden just died like right after each other..and both would barely run..just sputtered. I thought it was the air pressure..

We went into town to the Jack In the Box..both started right up:confused:

Goodluck on the fix Fiddy,

should I check my connections?

I know I'm getting spark, and fuel on both bikes..but I never thought of the rev box

stator getting overheated?? and once it cools down it will start and run fine till it get's hot again?

maybe check that as well as the cdi, im kind of leaning toward stator though

·
Registered
191 Posts
traut811 said:
stator getting overheated?? and once it cools down it will start and run fine till it get's hot again?

maybe check that as well as the cdi, im kind of leaning toward stator though
Possibly?

I don't understand though, because both times it's happened...the temp outside was well below what you think would destroy a part like that..

Is there a upgraded stator I can buy? That's better insulated

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
UndefinedT said:
Possibly?

I don't understand though, because both times it's happened...the temp outside was well below what you think would destroy a part like that..

Is there a upgraded stator I can buy? That's better insulated

I'm not sure, I just know it happened on a quad I was working on for a guy a while back. Took forever to realize that's what it was, but new stator fixed it.

See if you can borrow a buddies or something to try it out. When trying to figure out whats wrong with the bike, its ALWAYS a lot better to try a different one before shelling out the money for new, especially because almost no one will take returns on electrical parts.

Just an idea, maybe someone else would have some ideas what it could be?

Fiddy4ever I still think you should try out a different electrical box too. Borrow one of those too if you can, so you dont buy a brand new one to realize that's not what was wrong with it, and your old one is still good.

·
Registered
191 Posts
traut811 said:
I'm not sure, I just know it happened on a quad I was working on for a guy a while back. Took forever to realize that's what it was, but new stator fixed it.

See if you can borrow a buddies or something to try it out. When trying to figure out whats wrong with the bike, its ALWAYS a lot better to try a different one before shelling out the money for new, especially because almost no one will take returns on electrical parts.

Just an idea, maybe someone else would have some ideas what it could be?

Fiddy4ever I still think you should try out a different electrical box too. Borrow one of those too if you can, so you dont buy a brand new one to realize that's not what was wrong with it, and your old one is still good.
We had the same problem with a 300ex this weekend at Oceano..I was riding it..rippin on it hard then it just bogged and died..and wouldn't start.

We tried many things, switched the stator and coil from another 300ex..wouldn't start.

but now I think about it..maybe both were hot..hmm.

Well thanks for the info, I'll look into it

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
UndefinedT said:
We had the same problem with a 300ex this weekend at Oceano..I was riding it..rippin on it hard then it just bogged and died..and wouldn't start.

We tried many things, switched the stator and coil from another 300ex..wouldn't start.

but now I think about it..maybe both were hot..hmm.

Well thanks for the info, I'll look into it

thats because it was a 300ex. Its a honda, and those things are BULLETPROOF, but laggs a little on the power side. ;)

Good luck, hope you get 'er figured out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts