PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using a brand new takegawa 88 s-stage cylinder and a 20mm Kitaco carb setup.

I started my bike up last night and it ran good, no noise from the motor. Then today I started it again today and it was making a clicking/ringing noise almost like the piston was hitting the head. It was doing this under idle and a little bit when I give it gas, but I couldn't really hear it when I got on the gas hard. So I took off the head and it didn't look like the piston was hitting the head or the values.

I don't know what the hell to do any ideas? I messed with the timing and can't get the ringing to go away. It is weird that it ran good the first time and then started to do this crap. It has to be the timing most likely, but I am really worried and don't know if I am adjusting the timing right or not.

I have the values set at .003 intake and .004 exhaust.

I put the flywheel at TDC and the sprocket on the "O" at 9 O'Clock. Then I adjusted the values to the settings above. The cam is suppose to have a little bit of play side to side before you put the sprocket on right?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I don't know if this applies to the stuff you bought but when quite a few ppl bought the TB 88 kit they said that after they put the bbk's on that the bikes started making a clicking noise. They said they never figured out what it was but that it never has done any harm to the engine. I think Jetster220 on here was one of them

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input mxracer...that is a scary thought if that ringing is normal. It sounds like the piston is hitting the values or the head, but like I said it didn't look like it was doing that when I took off the head.

Maybe I don't know how to set the timing right. Won't it make a ringing/clicking noise if you don't have the timing setup right?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No I'm not running high octane gas. Just pump gas...I think it is 91 octane. Now that I have that high compression piston, do I need high octane gas? If so, what is the best to run?

I think I figured out what is wrong with my motor. When I push and pull on the flywheel there is a little bit of movement or play. I tightened it will a impact gun. Maybe it didn't get tightened enough? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
It could be the octane. Mix 93 with 100 octane and see if it helps. When Jester installed the race head and cam the clicking noise went away and he never changed the gas he was running. Just a thought. :wink:

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Yeah, when I was running the stock head TB kit it made a strange ticking noise that sounded like there was something contacting but I never discovered what it was and the motor was perfect when I took it apart to install the race head. It ran perfectly fine and I was running 93 octane, just had that weird noise. So if all your clearances are set right, and you know for sure nothing is hitting, just dont worry about the noise and let er rip. I know its anoying but you eventually start to get used to it lol.

·
Registered
680 Posts
ultimate 4 is crazy to buy for a 50 considering its $10 a gallon

i run 93 in my 250f and if a 50 needs ltimate 4 with a big bore that would suck

but if a 50 is same a 250f high octane is a waste anything higher than 91 is waste..... thats the way on a 250f but im not sure on 50

·
Registered
28 Posts
do you have the dowel pins installed between the head and the cylinder. Because I noticed when I forgot to reinstall them with my stock head it was ticking really bad. you could tell it when you turned it over by hand. Does the head have HD valve springs? my buddy got those springs from DRATV and it smoked his cam in no time. Check your cam for discoloration and the lobes being wore down. The HD springs will definately make your motor tick.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I figured out what is wrong...the bearing on the crank is moving in the cases. So when I push and pull on the flywheel the whole crank moves...including the clutch basket. So everything moves a one unit.

Which means, either the bearings are pressed too tight on the crank (if that is possible) or the bearing on the crank (I can see the bearing moving on the clutch side) doesn't seat very well in the cases and it moves side to side, which creates slop, which in turn makes my bike ping. I hope the crank bearing wasn't spinning and messing up the inside of my case.

Has anyone ever had this problem or heard of something like it?

I have to completely rebuild my motor and try a different crank. Anyway, thanks for all of the advice guys!

Hopefully my bike will be ready for Vegas this weekend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.