PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got myself a 2004 crf70. it has tb 88 kit with race head, cam, hd springs, and 20mm carb. Also has crf80 dampening rods and klx110 rear shock. has excel wheels and pro taper bars, also more that I'm forgetting. i like the bike a lot and it has a lot of power, more than my 125cc ssr. Only thing I'm not happy with is the height of the bike, and the amount of suspension travel. I'm a big guy. The bike came with a set of 730mm GPX forks as well as a +2 a frame swinger. I know i will need a longer shock for the rear and want one anyways because the klx shock doesn't have much travel, but i don't know how long exactly i will need. as far as the forks go i have absolutely no clue what I'm doing, this is my first real time modding a pit bike. I need new clamps right? where would i get them? and can i run my drum brakes with this setup or will i have to switch to disk? also what is the issue with the rake on the 70's? will i need to change the rake to put longer forks on? if so how would i go about doing this? I read on another post by Jordo that if you shorten the 730's by 50mm the rake is perfect, how would i go about shortening them? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, just never done anything to a pit bike for. Also a lot of people say i need to brace the frame so i don't bend it, I'm 160 lbs, do i need to worry about that? and is there a bolt on way to do it? as i really don't want to strip the whole thing down to weld a brace in and then have it powder coated and everything. thanks for all the help Heres some pic of the bike, forks, and swinger

Pipe Tool Metalworking hand tool

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Enduro

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Enduro Car

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for the rear you can try a BBR stiff spring with a shock extender from Tbolt. if not that the Fox Float shock is a great shock to run if ur willing to spend the $$$
Probably should've mentioned that I wasn't looking to spend a huge amount of money, I don't think I need such an expensive rear shock as I won't be hitting huge jumps, just the smaller stuff. But thanks for the help !

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Probably should've mentioned that I wasn't looking to spend a huge amount of money, I don't think I need such an expensive rear shock as I won't be hitting huge jumps, just the smaller stuff. But thanks for the help !
Still the fox float will be your best bang for your Buck. Trust me I was the same way. I had a kitaco shock blew it out first ride. Biggest jump maybe a foot and an half high at the most. Got the float never had a blow out. It's an awesome shock

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still the fox float will be your best bang for your Buck. Trust me I was the same way. I had a kitaco shock blew it out first ride. Biggest jump maybe a foot and an half high at the most. Got the float never had a blow out. It's an awesome shock
Wow I'll keep that in mind then, thanks... Any input on The front guys?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Wow I'll keep that in mind then, thanks... Any input on The front guys?
Honestly. Its a good front end. Change the oil on it bc the China oil sucks that they put in it. I know you don't want to spend alot of doe but a revalve will do even better for you and will feel more like real zokes. Also the fox float is the same size as the stock klx shock. I'm not to sure on what size shock you need but before you order and float or buy a float from someone on here. Make sure you don't need a longer rear shock. It's just what's you rake with the front end and rear end. Luckily there's a snowmobile website that sell extensions for the float and if you need a long shock buy one of the extensions to make it work for the rear end

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly. Its a good front end. Change the oil on it bc the China oil sucks that they put in it. I know you don't want to spend alot of doe but a revalve will do even better for you and will feel more like real zokes. Also the fox float is the same size as the stock klx shock. I'm not to sure on what size shock you need but before you order and float or buy a float from someone on here. Make sure you don't need a longer rear shock. It's just what's you rake with the front end and rear end. Luckily there's a snowmobile website that sell extensions for the float and if you need a long shock buy one of the extensions to make it work for the rear end
That's great news! But I'm still clueless as to what to do, all I have is the fork legs themselves, I don't have clamps for them or anything else, and is there anything you can tell me about the rake issue? Do I need to mod the frame or can I just bolt them on? Where can I get clamps? Do I need to shorten them to work with the stock rake like jordo said? And will they work with drum brakes?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've done a little more research and I think I understand a little more now... Will the rake be fine as long as I raise the rear enough to make it level? So as long as I get a long enough rear shock for it to sit level the rake will be fine? If that's right then all I need to know is where to get clamps for the forks and wether or Not my drum brake wheels will work with these forks and the extended swingarm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.