PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some assistance identifying some parts on a used KLX I'm considering picking up this weekend - particularly the forks and swingarm. Good buy for $1200 or a money pit? Thanks fellas.
Bicycle Bicycle tire Automotive tire Crankset Wheel

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Hood Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Motocross

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Green

Vehicle Plant White Automotive lighting Green

Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle Crankset

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Crankset Automotive tire

Registered
Terrible deal you should let me know where it and I'll take L 馃槈

The forks are genuine zokes and in today market are worth what you are paying for the whole bike. Swingarm I dont recognize but may be something like a brand x. Shock is ishock which is decent but is basically similar to DNM on quality. Id say the rear end should be worth a few hundred as it should have some sort of shock relocation bracket which are usually worth about $200 on their own.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was hoping to hear, the forks looked like zocchi's but I didn't know if a knockoff existed. The rear end will work until I blow it out or snap it, then I can upgrade. It'll be my first klx, anything else I should look out for?

Thanks again guys, glad some forums are still active and informative.

Registered
There are knockoffs of the zokes but those are genuine as they have the formula brakes, the knockoffs/clones only had chinese brakes and the clamps looked different. What I cant identify from pics is if they are 1st or 2nd gen, 2nd gen has comp and reb on both forks but 1st each leg is independent adjustments on top only(one side comp other side reb). Looks like a decent setup and at that price you can always get you investment back parting it out if you dont like it.

As for other things just the usual bike checks: chain, wheel and headset bearings, oil condition, no strange noises, if its pre 08 if the output shaft has been replaced(would grind when kicking it over).

This forum is pretty slow too, I just so happened to login

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for your response Mr. Skywalker - picking her up this Sunday and I'll go through everything.

Is there a more active or informative resource (reddit page, facebook, etc) that I should hop on, or is sifting through threads here still my best bet?

Registered
Surprised that bike hasn't sold yet, but the market up there isn't as popular. Been on CL for a while. Good luck with your purchase.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Picked 'er up this weekend. Needs some TLC here and there, but overall it seems to be in very good shape. Looking at getting the TB 143 big bore kit, any upgrades I need to consider with the added power?

Thanks guys

Registered
I would recommend re-jetting the carb or order a carb kit off TBolt.com and an aftermarket exhaust. If you keep the stock cylinder head you'll be happy with that set up. You may also want a new clutch kit and HD springs because the torque with a 143 big bore kit and a stock head will eventually make the clutch slip. I hope this helps and good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually picked up a used FMF 4.1, BBR U-flow, and some jets to mess around with before I tear it down for the big bore. Do you recommend keeping the stock cylinder head over the v2 tb head? I'm strongly considering the stroker crank as well - will that, or the stock crank be more reliable?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts