PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i installed my TB big bore w/ race head, how do i actually adjust the valve clearance?

and the carb came with a gigantic black spacer does that spacer go on the head before the intake tube? ot on the intake tube ot carb? so i really need to use the spacer?

i instaleld everythign and fired it up to make sure it starts and runs, it runs but sputters and boggs badly at low rpm's

helppp i wanna get this done tomarrow so i can start breakin it in... thanks!!!

btw- its a TB 88 kit w/ race head and it came with a 18 mm carb

·
Registered
291 Posts
the black spacer goes between the head and the intake with the long piece under the carb.

valve clearance- you'll need I believe it's an 8 or 9mm box end wrench, and i used needle nose visegrips to hold the tappet. You'll need feeler gauges i forget what the clearance is though. When you're adjusting it with the feeler gauges you'll want a slight drag on the gauge.

If it's spitting and sputtering that bad it's either the intake insulator spacer being in wrong, or you have the timing off a tooth or more.

is your T on the flywheel lined up with the notch on the engine case? along with the dot on the cam lined up with the notch on the head?

hope this helps some.

anymore questions i'll be glad to try to help, and i'm sure more will post up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Valve clearence is also the same specs as a stock 50 head.

I'm at work so I can't give the exact measurement.

I have the same set-up with a 20mm carb and it is very cold natured

but once its warmed up it runs strong.

Hope you find its something simple instead of another tear down.

Take your time and buy a factory manual if you don't already have one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
if the valve clearance is the same as on a stock 50 head, then it is .05 mm or .002" whichever you prefer (same clearance on intake and exhaust).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Uh, dumb a$$ here, but I think that the heat reduction spacer goes between the intake and the carb. On the feeler guages, I used the straight ones that I have and just bent the end too.

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
The spacer goes between the head and intake and I dont know the tolerances but straight feelers will work 4 bucks for a whole big set at advance auto.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.