PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does this mean a tad lean on pilot?

bike needs full choke even on a very warm day like today. needs choke for a minute or so. then runs great with choke off.

every single bike i owned never needed a choke on +50 or 60 degree days. thinking its lean on the pilot circuit, maybe on the fuel/air screw or a bigger pilot jet? or raising the needle?

·
Vendor
10,562 Posts
Hows does your plug look.

Is the bike running fine?

"full choke even on a very warm day like today. needs choke for a minute or so. then runs great with choke off."

This sounds fine.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
They start easier and need less choke when they're richer on the pilot circuit, no question. In your case you might just have a dirty pilot jet; got some fuel varnish or something built up in there. Give the carb a good cleaning first, readjust your pilot mixture and see how it is then, before swapping jets around.

My idea of a good pilot circuit setting is easy starting, don't need to leave the choke on for very long, carburates cleanly off idle with no stumble or flat spots, and will idle reliably for a minute or two if you need to get off the bike to open a gate, or you forgot to put both your shoes on before riding or whatever.

Looked at in that light, having to leave the choke on as long as you say before it will take throttle sounds lean to me, but I've owned a string of old bikes and no new ones, so maybe I'm not used to the emissions-related pilot-circuit leanness of today or something.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Pilots lean go 1 or 2 sizes bigger OR try raising the needle.. It should already be in the third spot from the top to start out... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well the bike doesnt stumble anywhere really. and it runs great also, just needs full choke to start usually from a cold start. once its warm, it starts right up first kick.

will raising the needle up fix this? i thought raising the needle only fixed 1/4 to 3/4 throttle. will this help starting at all?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Raising the needle will let a little more fuel to come through when starting. But the first thing is go 1 size bigger on the pilot.. It would probably start a little easier but idle and have no bad spots either.. If its that lean on the pilot so its hard to start cold. Go 1 size bigger...;)

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, ill try that, so you guys recomend go one bigger on pilot rather than rasing the needle by dropping a clip?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
deputyperk said:
well the bike doesnt stumble anywhere really. and it runs great also, just needs full choke to start usually from a cold start. once its warm, it starts right up first kick.

will raising the needle up fix this? i thought raising the needle only fixed 1/4 to 3/4 throttle. will this help starting at all?
Sounds to me youre fixing something that aint broke!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts