PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings gents! Glad I stumbled onto this forum, been looking for a good place to keep my NS project thread.

I picked up this little NS50 off ebay a few months back. I've been enjoying it on my 3 mile round trip commute. I've been riding it as is, but plan to start polishing it back up once my subaru project is road worthy.

Here's she is getting picked up from the previous owner;

Picked it up running and riding. A fella and his pops fixed this one up and posted it on fleabay. I caught wind of it and jump without hesitation. I've had a couple shifty fifties(rx50, and a couple MB's) but never had the joy of saddling up a NS. After a quick title, tag and registration I brought her along for our first day commuting;

Such a fun ride! My new(to me) rear/side fairings with OG decals should be here next week. I'll be swapping some fresh tar on soon as well as new levers and maybe a clutch rebuild. I am on the hunt for a few bits; front headlight cowl, engine cowl/chin fairing(of course). Down the road she'll probably get a decent wheel/disc brake/fork upgrade.

More to come! This is one of the few shifty fifties that I will keep in my collection for a long time

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reunited and it feels soo good!

Traded my blank side/rear plastics for a set with OG decals. It really makes the bike for me. Now to continue hunting for a headlight, engine, and chin fairings. Also got a cheapo set of mirror off ebay, $15 shipped from chinaland. They are actually better quality than other cheap mirrors I've gone through.

Next up will be another round of maintenance; Clean engine bike up, clean chain, replace tube/tar, pull/clean/inspect rear brake(a bit sticky), change oil, and maybe a clutch rebuild.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup! The little ns indeed shares the same NSR motor. No big plans to kit and mod this one just yet. My commute is only 1.5miles city driving so the stock power suit the ride well. If I find a spare motor, I'll definitely swap it out, keep the stock as backup and shoot for the moon with nsr goodies.

This is my in town hooligan bike, I'm picking up my RG250 this week to satisfy my 2 strokin more power needs

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New homemade workbench to get me out of the shop and into some of this gorgeous weather we've been having.

I've clicked over just short of 500 miles so far and I've absolutely in love.

It was time for the first major round of maintenance - Drained and swapped all new fluids(gear oil, engine oil, and coolant), first good cleaning, and chain clean/lube/adjustment;

New tar coming in soon! The spokers are a little rusty so I'm debating on painting them while they're off and I'll sort my sticky rear brake.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When your stands don't fit the bike, but you're dying to test fit the new tar;

Fought the front tire for a damn minute. These pilot sporty's are some of the stiffest tires I've ever attempted to install with just me and my 2 tire spoons. An hour or so wrestling the old tire off and the new tire on. Slapped it on to test fit and I put the damn thing on backwards!! I do that every time :( Also attempted to use the trashbag trick to get the tire on.. MISTAKE! Haha.. The bead was so tight on these tires that I was unable to slide the bag out once tire was on.

Decided I'd had enough on this tire install. Pulled the rear and dropped them with my local shop. Will get the front's direction corrected, trash bag removed, and new rear tire/tube swapped on. Should be done today hopefully. Can't wait to start scrubbing them in

NomNomNom

Really need to find(or build) stands that fit this mini monster. For now she'll just nap on my shop futon

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tires went on yesterday and look fantastic!! Michelin pilot sporty tire - 90/80 front and 110/80 rear

I'll have to massage the chain guard a bit to clear, but other than that everything has plenty of breathing room. Can't wait to feel the ride, hoping the different size still feels as quick and nibble as the stock size. Just need to be buttoned up and scrubbed in.

Decided to leave the existing brake shoes on. Looks to have been swapped in the past and they still have plenty of life. Will be holding onto my ebc set of shoes as backups.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After the rain finally subsided I got to take her maiden voyage. Womp Wommmp!

Barely made it out of the driveway before I could feel the front wheel is either way out of balance or we've roughed up the hoop enough that it's no longer true.. Going to rig up a front stand so I can do a quick run out test on the hoop. Then pull the front and probably rear for balancing since my shop dropped the ball on that..

She'll sit and wait until I have some time to get it all sorted. Need to get it ready, freshen up all the fluids, and maybe a clutch rebuild before True Grits.

· Registered
1 Posts
Just looked back. Bought this unit the weekend of March 29th 2015. So just over 1 year searching, I have found the gold at the end of the rainbow;
Dude you are an inspiration - I just picked up an NS50 of my own for $250 with blown rings and only one of the rear side covers. Popped the cylinder off and I only need a replacement piston and rings. Maybe one day I'll assemble the plastics. For now I'm gonna run it like a rat rice rocket.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dude you are an inspiration - I just picked up an NS50 of my own for $250 with blown rings and only one of the rear side covers. Popped the cylinder off and I only need a replacement piston and rings. Maybe one day I'll assemble the plastics. For now I'm gonna run it like a rat rice rocket.
Rad mang! Keep at it, hopefully some will surface for ya. I've heard talk of Dos cycles in Atlanta making molds for reproductions. Keep an eye on them, good dudes down there!

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I finally got these pilot sporty's massaged enough to be rideable. Never had a set of tar give me so much fight to seat/bead evenly. I knew I was putting a bit too much on the stock spokers. Didn't think once they were on the hoop that they would be such a chore to even out. First test ride after the shop put them was miserable. Front wheel was lumping over so bad I felt like I was on a pogo stick! Rear wasn't much better and the combo of the pair was so off my revs would surge from the unevenness. First thing I did was pull them back off the bike and re-balanced them. After that didn't help I deflate/debead them and tried to persuade them to bead more evenly with my rubber mallet. That helped a bit, but still was far from rideable. After I was looking closer I could see I had a pinch(for lack of better work) spot that was causing the bead to seat deeper and creating a high spot on the tire's contact belt.

Felt like giving up every time I tried to get them even. Each time I seemed to make some progress though. Started looking at picking up another set of less aggressive tires. Hated that idea after seeing the new tar as well as feeling how it rides with the bigger tires on. Rolls out much better and strains less with up 55+. Riding at those speeds with wonky tires wasn't the best choice, but mopedz. Then I started to look into getting the ns-1 front/rear setups like I have dreamed of. Parts price were crazy low, but shipping from Japanland was outrageous. I even dropped by a local suzuki shop and asked the guy his personal opinion. He said he thought it was just too much and aggressive of a tire for the old stock spoke hoop.

Redetermined to get this thing somewhat rideable I scoured the net for tips and tricks. Ran across some guys running a ratchet strap around the circumference of the tire. Torquing the strap and inflating the tire. Most used this method to get a tubeless tire to start beading, but thought I could maybe use that technique a bit. After deflating/debeading again I removed the valve stem securing nuts and pushed the valve steams back into the tires to insure the tube wasn't being pinched in the tire's bead. Rear pushed it no probs, but the front was definitely pinched in the bead. Had to really force it down into the tire and of course I pushed it all the way through the hoop! Not to future self keep the nut on the top of stem to keep entire stem from disappearing into the wheel! After getting a friend to help push weigh on the front end I was able to recover the stem. After running the strap around the tire's circumference I started noticing a small bulge in the front and rear tires. So I tossed another strap around the rim and those areas to help keep them in line.

First I would torque the circumference strap then massage the tire beads in deeper(with mallet and hands) then torque the second strap squeezing the bulges in. Pressurize the tube to 60psi, rest up(manual bike pump haha), remove straps, repressurizer to 60, let sit for a moment then reduce pressure to desired level. Ride to warm the tar up then rise/repeat until they were close enough. I'll pull the front again sometime to check that it's still in balance, but for now she's rolling much much better!

Rear

Front

Out enjoying the hard work!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.