PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I have finally started restoring my 1973 ST50. I have owned this bike for 14 years, so it is sentimental reasons that made me rebuild it. I got the bike when i was 14 years old, and converted it into a cafe style bike together with my dad. I rode it from the age 16-18 and after that it was put into storage for 10 years.

But now it is time. The plan is a more original style with a few twists and a lot of chrome. The plan is to get the bike painted a metallic brown color from the BMW 1 series color range.

Anyways i will let the pics do the talking.

This is the bike as i started:

Together with my other toy:

I started by getting the swingarm removed and getting the original one installed, so that i could mock up my new rearwheel.

The plan is to run a Dax hub with a CY50 rim. This is the difference in width:

This is how it fits in the rear swingarm:

But unfortunately the CY rims need some modification. I have to bring it into work and machine the hole for the hub bigger, and i have to weld the bolt holes shut and make some new ones, as the spacing is a little bit different on the CY rim.

This will have to be sorted before i continue, but it shouldn't be too big a problem.

After that i can continue with getting my new fork mounted:

And finally a little teaser of my new seat, should go great against the brown colour:

That is all for now, but i will try and keep this thread updated as i go along. But i work a lot abroad so there might go some time between the updates.

Thanks for looking.

BR

Dennis

Denmark

·
Registered
427 Posts
OT, but is your other toy a Caterham? Awesome power-to-weight ratio I understand. We don't see those over here in the states, probably due to safety regulations.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah it is a Mohr Rush. But same kind of car. And yes the power to weight ratio is what makes it fun.

·
Registered
887 Posts
boz said:
probably due to safety regulations.

You mean like that near complete lack of a door? I bet I would sit about 3 feet over the top of that thing. Cool looking but man, don't get T-Boned in that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just bought the tires for my project. Went for Michelin S1's in 100/80-10 and 130/70-10. Does anyone have experiences with these tires?

Also finished machining and welding the rear rim. Now i just need to get it grinded down and drill some new mounting holes. Then i can do a real mock up and see if an off set sprocket is needed (i think it is). I will post some pics once i get the tires.

Also i am working in Japan this week. I got next wednesday off it Tokyo. It was my plan and try and find a shop with parts for these bikes. Maybe some new trick rear shocks or something. I some of you know a place in Tokyo, i would love to hear from you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i will sell the whole front end, except the caliper if you want. But it needs refurb and so. And iam in Denmark so i expect that shipping will be a little expensive.

But the risers and handlebar is just basic universal items.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Iam not totally decided on fenders yet. Don't know if iam goint for JDM spec ones painted in the frame colour. Or if iam going for the european spec high mounted ones in chrome. Those i have for it is European spec ones, but they are so bad, that i can't get them rechromed. A new set is 300$ so iam still thinking.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
maybe forget about rechroming them and paint them body colour or even black. the euro spec ones are the ducktail chaly style right?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cozi70 said:
Is this the kind off look your after.

bruindax.jpg (image)

Yeah that is along the lines iam looking for, allthough i am hoping for a bit more chrome on mine, and the centers of the wheels will be black, and the rims will be chromes. Also iam going for an upswept exhaust so that i can have a passenger on.

These fenders are the ones i called JDM spec, allthough i belive germany and a few other countries in Europe got these. The danish Dax'es had the high mounted short chrome fenders. And iam most probably going for these again.

My seat is a bit different too LOL, and i think iam going to use gold anodised bolts where ever possible.

I plan on running these shocks, as i think they will contrast the brown really well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
z50 chopper said:
I just read that Germany kept with the ducktail fenders like the chaly style after everyone else went to the smaller type

Yeah you might be right. I think i will go for the newer type. Also iam pretty sure that iam not going to run white walls.

I almost bought the shocks today, but decided to wait, as iam goint to Ueno biketown in Tokyo on wednesday. I might be able to find something cool there. This is a picture from outside one of the shops:

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Great build so far, Really cool to see you kept it all those years and now are going to change the look of it.

Gotta say your one lucky guy being able to travel to Tokyo to that place called Ueno biketown. Just curious is it work that brings you there? Or are you just going for the heck of it? I'm so jealous LoL. for some reason last time I checked "about a month ago" plane tickets from the East Coast of the U.S. to Japan were not pocket change lol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am here with work. Have been in Japan 4 times, but never really in Tokyo, so looking forward to it.

Also Japan is a very interesting place, i will highly recommend it.

As for the bike, yeah it is a bit of a special story that i have had it so long time.

Iam never going to sell this one.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
dalla said:
I am here with work. Have been in Japan 4 times, but never really in Tokyo, so looking forward to it.

Also Japan is a very interesting place, i will highly recommend it.

As for the bike, yeah it is a bit of a special story that i have had it so long time.

Iam never going to sell this one.

I want your job lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts