PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for the build I'm doing, I really wanted to keep the stock frame for some reason (and wanted no stretch in the neck to keep it "short").

This is what I've come up with so far, its far from being finished... I still have to sandblast it, TIG the gussets on, bunch of sanding/smoothing/and powdercoat.

Here's the main frame gusset that took forever. I cut it in 10 places/rewelded so the natural tendency of the angle wouldn't be straight. I'm also connecting the subframe bars/probably going to cut/weld in a solid (or heavy tubing) inside them. I'll also strenghten most of the joints on it.

My main goal was that main frame gusset, I scratched my head for a while because I didnt want to heat/bend anything because it would want to bend back to its natural position, which would essentially be doing nothing (only strength would be from the weld bead..)

what you guys think?

· Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
doopsx3 said:
you mock up engine cases to make sure of no interference yet...looks good and strong tho...where did you get them WWII fighter nose art graphics?

Thats what this little setup was for.. Fits awesome, I've got like 3/16" or 1/4" by the rear cases. Carb and all that fits good, as well as the coil, etc. I think I may drill/tap for a mount for my oil cooler, I haven't decided yet.

What WWII graphics you talking about?

· Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
actually, I dont even know if that picture has the gusset on it lol. I duct taped the gusset to the frame in 3 or 4 places, marked its placement where its going to be welded, then bolted everything up to check clearances.

· Registered
8,875 Posts
traut811 said:

Thats what this little setup was for.. Fits awesome, I've got like 3/16" or 1/4" by the rear cases. Carb and all that fits good, as well as the coil, etc. I think I may drill/tap for a mount for my oil cooler, I haven't decided yet.

What WWII graphics you talking about?

bike in the background

· Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oooh,

Hmm...I don't remember to be honest. I bought them already on the plastics.

If I part that bike out and you'd be interested in them PM me. It wouldn't be for a few weeks though I need to finish this bike up first.

· Registered
4,902 Posts
hey those woody plastics are mine!!!

have you seen the way BBR built there team super pro frames?

they welded a plate around the top of the frame tube

they also did this to frames that cracked the weld on the mid mount.

· Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LongMooie said:
hey those woody plastics are mine!!!

have you seen the way BBR built there team super pro frames?

they welded a plate around the top of the frame tube

they also did this to frames that cracked the weld on the mid mount.

haha find me some white plastics and we can work something out ;)

I've got white plastics with red baron graphics, but hate to pull the graphics off.....

zwieblekopf said:
Looks pretty good but I think you need to do something to address the head tube to backbone interface also
You thinking on the top tube of the frame then? I was thinking cut a piece of square tubing in half (or less) and weld this to the top side of the backbone from the shock mount to the neck.

------>> I thought the stock frames get the rake from between the subframe/ back side of shock mount though dont they?? Anyone have any idea the most critical point where stock frames bend??

· Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
kamikaze99 said:
I would guess somewhere around the head tube, look how these frames are done upp http://planetminis.com/f8/frame-questions-98233.html

yeah...I went through like a million old frame bracing threads... Im happy with the brace on there, I *think it should give a lot of support, the only thing is if the frame tends to bend up by the neck that may be a problem, and I'd need to weld up some support on top.

DOES anyone know if the stock frame bends more between the upper part of the subframe/behind the shock mount, or towards the neck?

· Registered
4,902 Posts
they bend roughly in the center of the bike towards the front of the shock mount normaly where the frame straightens out.

the head tube is welded on at a crappy angel fix that while your at it with cutting disk and welder;)

i got you covered on the white plastics ufo used but like new only riden once or twice;)

· Registered
834 Posts
I did the same thing but on the top of the frame and the frame still bent. I am thinking of cuting my new frame in half and putting a peice of .250 wall chromoly dom steel strait down the center. welding it back together and grinding it smooth like it never happend that way it would still be vegas stock mod legal. I have a pile of bent stock fifty frames.

· Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yellow bandit said:
I did the same thing but on the top of the frame and the frame still bent. I am thinking of cuting my new frame in half and putting a peice of .250 wall chromoly dom steel strait down the center. welding it back together and grinding it smooth like it never happend that way it would still be vegas stock mod legal. I have a pile of bent stock fifty frames.

hmm...so your gusset/brace bent as well?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.