PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Motor vehicle Yellow Automotive exterior Gas Automotive tire
update: got the rust sanded off and primed the frame. Engine is pretty much there. Waiting on a couple parts to come in the mail. Might get this up and going soon…
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Gas Engineering

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi 907vine, welcome to Planet Minis! Glad to see you got a couple of minis to play with. Additive hobby. Like the soft tail you picked up, it's nice to have rider to dick around on. But, I must admit I'm partial to the hardtails.
The yellow one that you got looks like it has the bones for a good mini. From the photos you've posted, I've got the following: the frame itself/chain adjustment ears appear straight, the taillight bracket is there and still intact and looks to be in good shape, you have the headlight and the top badge, and the headlight ears appear to be straight too - this is a big big plus. Motor looks mostly there. I'm digging what you got and looking to forward to seeing what you do with it.
Now based on your request for any "tips or advice", and the couple of pics you've posted, I would do/look at the following before going much further with the frame:
  • missing right gas tank mounting pin
  • pound out the mushrooming of the bottom of the head tube and get it back to reasonably flat
  • carefully grind the rivets on the id plate off and remove it - it's in great shape - get it off and stash it - post paint you can reinstall w/ new rivets - don't try to repaint around this
  • check the cross-over tubes on the chain side of the frame - that bottom flat one where the chain passes over is prone to crack underneath - flip the frame and take a good look at it and the other welds - if in doubt get it welded up
  • remove the headlight, it's top badge and the reflectors on the fork and respray as separate pieces - again those are really valuable and hard to find parts, clean them up and stash them - don't try to paint around these either
  • run a 6.00X1.00 tap through all the mounting holes in the frame
  • check that the fork stop on the frame and the forks are working as designed. Both get hammered after so many years and can allow the forks to turn too much resulting in damage to the tank
  • check fine threads on the bottom of the forks and make sure they aren't buggered up, if so, an appropriate tap can help "cut" new ones
I'm sure others will be jumping in w/ help/suggestion. Great bunch of guys here!! Watching your progress! Hope you have some fun with it! Post pics too!! We all love photos!!
Again, Welcome to PM!I
Rick

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi 907vine, welcome to Planet Minis! Glad to see you got a couple of minis to play with. Additive hobby. Like the soft tail you picked up, it's nice to have rider to dick around on. But, I must admit I'm partial to the hardtails.
The yellow one that you got looks like it has the bones for a good mini. From the photos you've posted, I've got the following: the frame itself/chain adjustment ears appear straight, the taillight bracket is there and still intact and looks to be in good shape, you have the headlight and the top badge, and the headlight ears appear to be straight too - this is a big big plus. Motor looks mostly there. I'm digging what you got and looking to forward to seeing what you do with it.
Now based on your request for any "tips or advice", and the couple of pics you've posted, I would do/look at the following before going much further with the frame:
  • missing right gas tank mounting pin
  • pound out the mushrooming of the bottom of the head tube and get it back to reasonably flat
  • carefully grind the rivets on the id plate off and remove it - it's in great shape - get it off and stash it - post paint you can reinstall w/ new rivets - don't try to repaint around this
  • check the cross-over tubes on the chain side of the frame - that bottom flat one where the chain passes over is prone to crack underneath - flip the frame and take a good look at it and the other welds - if in doubt get it welded up
  • remove the headlight, it's top badge and the reflectors on the fork and respray as separate pieces - again those are really valuable and hard to find parts, clean them up and stash them - don't try to paint around these either
  • run a 6.00X1.00 tap through all the mounting holes in the frame
  • check that the fork stop on the frame and the forks are working as designed. Both get hammered after so many years and can allow the forks to turn too much resulting in damage to the tank
  • check fine threads on the bottom of the forks and make sure they aren't buggered up, if so, an appropriate tap can help "cut" new ones
I'm sure others will be jumping in w/ help/suggestion. Great bunch of guys here!! Watching your progress! Hope you have some fun with it! Post pics too!! We all love photos!!
Again, Welcome to PM!I
Rick
Thanks! This is exactly the info I’m looking for. I figure one I peice it together I could address the issues. Nice to know some of the common ones. I found a part manual online and I’ll have to start looking at that here soon to make sure I’m not forgetting anything along the way.

*cleaned up the forks, got those in where they seem to fit. I probably need to figure out how to properly grease them up before I get in the road. Used a o ring instead of the old seals that were there.
* Got Some basic aftermarket bars/controls. *Aftermarket seat.
Need to get a proper front axle bolt, exhaust bolts, brake line hardware for back & front brake, tank. Etc. ordered brake pads. I don’t think I need a battery for this model.
It’s getting to look more like a bike now. But there’s a lot more it needs. Fall/Winter is coming. Hope I can get it smoking soon. Take it all apart again…Then start on frame/tank this winter.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

1 - 4 of 4 Posts