PlanetMinis Forums banner
261 - 280 of 319 Posts

· Registered
210 Posts
Thanks for the info and advice John. I've never had to mess around with Heim Joints before and as you can see from the photo below my chain really needs adjusting. I did have to reread your explanation a few times, but I think I understand what to do now. I’m going to have to psyche myself up because I don’t trust myself anymore. I’ve had a few mishaps with parts/wheels falling off my trike while I’m driving down the road. I also want to swap out the 8" with the 7" aluminum rims that I have. The problem is that the 8” rims are 4 bolt and the 7” rims are 3 bolt. Weren’t your 4 bolt rims originally 3 bolt rims? How much would you charge to do mines? Oh and do you adjust the hem with or without the chain on?

Auto part Vehicle Engine Fuel line Car

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
Yes, My rims were originally 3 Bolt. The 7" Rims I get from Strerdy Pouducts are the only 7" rims I know of that will fit the 4 bolt hubs. You can make yourself a pattern to drill your wheels out of a piece of plywood. Cut the outer circle first to fit snug into the wheel. Then with wood in the center of wheel place the 4 bolt hub "studs" down so they are setting on the wood. Center hub in wheel, To make this easier you can wrap a bunch of tape around outside edge of hub to take up the slack. When hub is in center, place a short 2x4 over end of hub and hit 2x4 with hammer hard enough to make impressions of the wheel studs into wood. Drill those out and you have your own pattern. I use 1 of the original holes from the 3 Bolt pattern as one of my new holes for the 4 bolt, It gets oval'ed out.
And yes, Its easier to make Hiem Adjustment with chain off, Because you have to push rear end over enough to rotate the Hiem with the spacers out of the Hiem.

· Registered
210 Posts
Thanks John. Good to know which hubs you used to convert from 3 to 4 bolt. However, no way I would be able to pull that off myself. I would be willing to pay to have it done. The 7" rims I got from Xowner. I just reached out to him to see if he sells them 4 bolt pattern.

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
Good luck with trying to fit a 4 Bolt hub into his Wheel. Let me know if it fits. I asked him what the measurement was going to be inside his wheel before he made the 1st run of wheels, They wouldn't fit. Maybe he change the design.

· Registered
274 Posts
John, do you find the Sterdy wheels to be fairly heavy being .160" thick? Also how wide are the 7" Dia Sterdy wheels? The website does not state how wide they are.

Thanks, Greg

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
John, do you find the Sterdy wheels to be fairly heavy being .160" thick? Also how wide are the 7" Dia Sterdy wheels? The website does not state how wide they are.

Thanks, Greg
Yes, I do think they are on the heavy side. That's why I got ahold of Xowner when he started talking about having some 7" Aluminum wheels made up. I new his were going to be lighter, But I didn't know if the 4 bolt hubs would fit inside his design. The Sterdy wheel is 6" Wide, Same as stock.

· Registered
274 Posts
John, Thanks for the good information as usual. Sounds like the Xowner and Sterdy wheels are the same dia, width and wall thickness so there is no weight savings of one over the other which is what I was looking for. I recently picked up another ATC 70 that came with heavy 2 piece 8" aluminium wheels and mini Holeshot tires (which I have never liked and want to replace).
Just trying to decide which way I want to go (wider 8" dia 4 bolt race cut wheels or stock width 7" dia 3 bolt wheels) with my next wheel tire purchase. Already have a new set of DuraBlue 4x110 hubs to use if I get the 4 bolt 8" dia wheels for the rear.

I know you only run 7" wheels typically. ....... but do you have any idea how heavy the Spangler's 8x7" race cut wheels are compared to say your Sterdy wheels? (Before you modify them) They do not list how thick the wheels are they sell. I know you have been to Gordon's shop and was hoping you put your hands on a set of their 8" wheels for comparison.

If this is getting too far off topic from your build thread we can take these questions to PM if you would like to keep this thread clean.

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #271 ·
John, Thanks for the good information as usual. Sounds like the Xowner and Sterdy wheels are the same dia, width and wall thickness so there is no weight savings of one over the other which is what I was looking for. I recently picked up another ATC 70 that came with heavy 2 piece 8" aluminium wheels and mini Holeshot tires (which I have never liked and want to replace).
Just trying to decide which way I want to go (wider 8" dia 4 bolt race cut wheels or stock width 7" dia 3 bolt wheels) with my next wheel tire purchase. Already have a new set of DuraBlue 4x110 hubs to use if I get the 4 bolt 8" dia wheels for the rear.

I know you only run 7" wheels typically. ....... but do you have any idea how heavy the Spangler's 8x7" race cut wheels are compared to say your Sterdy wheels? (Before you modify them) They do not list how thick the wheels are they sell. I know you have been to Gordon's shop and was hoping you put your hands on a set of their 8" wheels for comparison.

If this is getting too far off topic from your build thread we can take these questions to PM if you would like to keep this thread clean.
I didn't pic up any of Gordon's 8x7 wheels. I did buy a set of his 8x6 wheels and had him mount some paddles on them for me while I was at his shop. His 8" Aluminum wheels are Blue label, .125 thick. I don't think his 8" wheels are much, If
any heavier then the .160 7" wheels. If you run 8" wheel, You'll have to run 18" tire to get the same Floatation as I get with the 7" wheel and the Nanco 16" tires I've been getting. Which Dura Blue hub did you get.

· Registered
274 Posts
Thanks for the helpful info as usual John. Glad to hear Spangler's 8" wheels are .120" Blue Labels. Sounds like they won't be much heavier than the available 7" wheels. I'm ok with 18" tires as I have a set on another ATC 70 that I am quite happy with already. They are Duro HF247 18x7-7 front and Duro HF247 18x9.5-8 on the rear. I mainly field/trail ride but they also have excellent flotation on the sand. You probably seen a photo on 3wheelerworld so I won't muck up your build thread with my photos.

(little off topic) I live on a lake and got tired of raking our beach sand. So now I pull a steel drag behind one of my 70's and groom our beach and 3 other neighbors at the same time. Works great and the Duros just float over the sand hardly leaving a track behind so no worries about flotation. Besides if I take a 70 to the sand dunes my latest one came with a new spare set of paddle tires that I have as an option.

I'm just trying to decide on buying three 7" wheels and running the 18x7-7 Duros all around or one 7" wheel for the front (same tire) and some race cut 8" and the wider 18x9.5-8 Duros on the rear. I thought there might be a significant weight savings running all 7" wheels/tires but it sounds like it won't be much to worry about and I really like high speed stability the wider rear wheels offer.

The hubs are TRX400EX aluminum Dura Blue hubs I picked up new in the box for only $25. Originally for my US90 but I don't think the race cut wheels would look appropriate on a classic like that. So they are just lying around ready to be used.

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
Glamis dunes

Vehicle Mode of transport Sand Night All-terrain vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle All-terrain vehicle Tractor
Natural environment Landscape Soil Ecoregion Desert
Here's a few Pic's from my Glamis Dunes trip. I need to go thru my Go Pro Video, Then I'll post up some Video.

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 · (Edited)
Soil Rock
Rock Soil Rubble Landscape Gravel
Soil Blue-collar worker Archaeology Mud
Sea turtle Turtle Olive ridley sea turtle Loggerhead sea turtle Green sea turtle
Food Dish Cuisine
Nice!

Where is the meat smoker?? ;)

-HFM
It was there, My youngest brother brought his Traeger Smoker. We also cooked a turkey in the Sand again. Turned out awesome again. Here's a pic of how its set up.

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 ·
I got new Chain, And a new chain tension roller "With a bearing" that I can modify to fit on the tension arm that comes on the R55. I'll post pic's when I get it installed.

· Registered
274 Posts
I would think the spring chain tensioner would work nicely on your R55 trike. I was never a fan of using the heim joints to center the rear and adjust chain tension at the same time, seemed a little too fiddily to get it set up right IMO. You are always improving things which I admire. Plus it will make that R55 absolutely perfect for when you sell it to me some day. ;) LOL

Keep us posted on your progress.

· Registered
210 Posts
That's so weird, I am having issues the adjusting tension on my chain. I did a mix of road and trial riding on Friday and Saturday when I went to ride again I noticed the chain was hitting the bottom of the sprocket/chain cover. I couldn't figure out how to turn the hiem without taking the swinger off. The old chain had 90 linksand the new chain has 88 links. Since the new chain has fewer links, i turned the helm all the way in and I am a half link short. i do have some half links, but I've read it's it's recommended not to use them.

Auto part Vehicle Tire Engine Brake
Auto part Bicycle part Gear Crankset Bicycle drivetrain part

Got any advice John? Lets see them photos of the chain tensioner because not sure I want to do this every time I need to adjust the chain.

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
New Chain Tension Roller

Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Automotive tire
Auto part
Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Tire Automotive tire
I got my new Chain tension roller and chain installed today after work. I had to grind the shaft that the new roller went on because the new roller hole was smaller.

261 - 280 of 319 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.