PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've got a 1979 Z50R that I bought 3 months ago for $225.

Here's a pic of it just about right after i got it.

http://www.blackgalaxy.tv/images/moto.jpg

The bike runs pretty well...it does burn a tiny bit of oil, but it always starts on the first or second kick. Anyway, since I've bought it I have replace the air filter, both sprockets, chain, and the tires & tubes.

I've maily got two questions. The transmission has a clicking noise when you ride it, it doesnt affect the bikes performance. I know it's in the transmision becuase when I press down the shifter and hold it there (neutral) it goes away. Any ideas? My uncle is a big motorcycle person so he's probably going to check it out and fix it for me.

Aesthetically the bike is in great shape! I've been told by many people it was a good buy for the price.

Also, what is good to use to degrease the engine? I'm 17 and work as a car detailer after school and we have this industrial degreaser that I can use, or is it safer just to use some nail polish and que tips?

Thanks!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Bike looks nice, alittle tlc will go a long way--"and lots of money for mods". If you do car detailing than you must know of a product called BLAST. The stuff works awsome on bikes. Just make sure you lube the chain and pivots after as BLAST will dry them up. As for the tranny, give us some more info to work with. Does it pop out of gear, does the clicking get louder as you go faster?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't believe the clicking gets louder, but it does get faster as you go faster. When the engine is in neutral like I said, it doesn't click at all.

Also, I never have heard of blast. The degreaser we use is from Kar Kraft. If I use it I'll make sure to keep it on the engine casing as thats it. Do i need to worry about getting it down where the spark plug is?

Also, I really don't want to mod it, I'd like to get it back to basically brand new stock condition. Why change a vintage bike in this good of shape?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
does the clicking Occur in ever gear? Or for example in just 1st I had a Trail 110 that did a clickin in first gear didnt think much of it and just road it One of the gears prolly had a crack or a tooth mission cuz it was detonation in there and locked the hole tranny so if it like studders the bike id say u got a problem.

·
Registered
462 Posts
who put on BMX bars? i did it on my 85 z50r i had, it was so easy it should have been harder lol..... :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.