PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 motors and I want to build the most powerful, economical motor.

I have a kitaco 88cc ultra with a tb manual clutch and lightened fly wheel. I could throw in a tb crank and mikuni carb for around 200 to make it a kitaco 108 with high compression.

I have a stock honda with a new tb 88 kit still in the box and a new tb manual clutch. I could also take this motor, sell my new 88 kit and upgrade to a complete tb 117 kit.

I could also tear apart both motors and build a tb 88 motor with the tb head and build the kitaco into a 117 kit using the tb crank and cylinder and have a 117 with high compression.

What would you do and what will these options make for power. Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions, info.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Short money would be tossing a TB crank in your 88 and calling it a day. Toss a carb on there and you'll have a lil ripper.

(If you've got a lot of time on that motor, fresh rings and a hone wouldn't hurt.)

I don't think it'll be worth it to swap cylinders to take it to 117. If you're going that far, get a 54mm crank for $230, tall 54mm cylinder and piston, and a set of studs and cam chain and take it right to 124cc.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I disagree Kurlon, I think it would be worth it to do the 117. The TB117 is not much slower at all than a 124cc, espcially with a decent rider. I pull holeshots regularly against guys riding 124's.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
True, but you've got a piston and head setup to work with each other, he's got an Ultra head that'll be looking for a bit more piston volume to setup proper combustion. That said, I don't think his 88 stroked to 108 will be that far off a TB 117 setup power wise, and it's a fair chunk less to just get a crank.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Kurlon said:
True, but you've got a piston and head setup to work with each other, he's got an Ultra head that'll be looking for a bit more piston volume to setup proper combustion. That said, I don't think his 88 stroked to 108 will be that far off a TB 117 setup power wise, and it's a fair chunk less to just get a crank.
I follow you know, but I disagree on how far off on power it would be. I have ridden a Kitaco 88 Ultra stroked with a TB crank to 108, and it was not even close on power compared to my 117. Felt very mellow.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Lol, also ridden both a 88 Ultra and TB88. Again, the Ultra did not feel much faster, little more topend was all as that was back with the smaller valved Tb head.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.