PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, we have been doing a lot of Motoped builds here, we have 6 going on in the shop right now.....so I figured I would explain some motors we have used and how they behave. Feel free to add your motors on...

Stock 49cc: Good for around town. Good for your girlfriend to ride so she doesn't get into trouble. A very unique motor made by Lifan just for motoped. Has a 2 speed automatic transmission like the old mopeds which is very cool. But, has very Low power. Will not climb a steep hill off-road. Wheel will not spin.

Lifan 125: If your looking for a simple motor swap this is the one. Only requires a few parts to work out. Good strong power. Will always be able to spin the rear tire, on any hill. Available in full manual or semi-auto. Very tractable power. Very controllable and smooth. Runs perfect out of the box, and can use all the stock motoped electronics.

Piranha 140: Get the semi-auto with auto clutch and electric start. Fits very well, and has the most torque of all the 125's. Diesel like torque. Not a high-rever, but that torque...awesome. Put it in 3rd in the trails and you always have power on tap. Very tractable. Electric start is cool. A bit more work to wire but not a big deal. Easily takes the lifan 125 in a drag race. Total different type of power delivery though with that torque. Yes, I like this motor a lot.

Daytona 190: If you have the $ and want to be king this is it. TONS of power. You will be master. A lot of work to install and mount oil cooler. With this motor you will take much larger bikes since the motoped is so light. Manual clutch only.

--John
Wildpowersports.com

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree on the Lifan 125, mine is working out awesome. Very happy with the power but the Piranha has peaked my interest. Would be cool to have the electric start though. Hey quick question on the MC Dualsport wheel and tire. Do I HAVE to turn in my hubs or can I just buy the 1000. set outright and pay extra for the hubs ?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Been trying to murder a TB 125 / 141 motor for over a year now with no luck, very happy with the motor
BTW does anyone know if TB installs the high volume oil pump in these things / Their 141 motor, I asked them a while back but never got a response

·
Super Moderator
9,738 Posts
When you say TB, are you referring to T-Bolt? My reason for asking is that as far as I know, TB (TrailBikes) doesn't build or sell complete engines, but T-Bolt does.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yes, T-Bolt
Anyone needing a motor or anything you can trust the good people at T-bolt 24-7 365
I am not Affiliated with the company in any way shape or form (although i recently beat a case where i was accused of throwing a sparklets glass bottle full of gas through someones kitchen window and then tossing in a lighted flare, due to an order that was placed with T-bolt) But that's another story.
Sure would like to know if my 141 has the high volume oil pump installed within it, anyone know ????
Or do i have to crack it open and have a look.
Confucius say
Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangcock
Man who stands on toilet high on pot
And my personal favorite, by far....
Panties not best thing on earth but next to it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
@ T-bolt
And so it seems that while the top end (head, cylinder, piston and etc) has been removed
And the right side engine cover, in order to replace the clutch with a heavy duty one
A perfect time to drill out the oil passageway leading to the head and replace the oil pump with a high volume pump
T-bolt does not do so (sad yes)
Sadder still that it's not even on the option list when one places an order for the motor.
Perhaps ??????? Some time in the future they will (not to mention should) add that option

No jokes to add today, very disappointed with the situation

·
Vendor
10,562 Posts
hey buddy
the only oil passages that ever get drilled out are on the Honda 50 and 70cc motors when using high volume oil pumps
The STOCK China motors have bigger oil pumps than Honda and never need to be increased
Common knowledge among Pit bike engine builders
Feel free to PM me or Email any time [email protected]

·
Registered
196 Posts
I emailed you guys about three weeks ago and never got a response and then some days ago i posted the question on this thread.....
Granted that a few days ago isn't that long ago but one would think that someone within the 38 views since i asked the question would have responded with that common knowledge...
In any event I pulled cover and the pump off last night last night and today a friend will be making another pump gear for it with closer tolerances using Teflon and hydro-statically balancing the thing for me.
I.E. I got the information i was looking for some hours to late.
Thank you for the information though

Its not what you know, or don't know. Its what you know that isn't so that can hurt you
Will Rodgers (circa) 1939

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We can do a set without you sending the hubs, but its around $300 more. Motoped has zero hubs, and the only way we can get them (keep in mind we are a Motoped Dealer) is to buy wheels from them, take the apart, and throw away everything except the hubs. What a waste...but we have done it!

If your worried about not having your wheels for a bit, dont worry. We can take a deposit on the hubs, and send you a complete set. You can then get your hubs and send them to us and we return your deposit.

++2 points for Tbolt on motor info/getting parts. They have always been great to us and we love dealing with them!

--John

I agree on the Lifan 125, mine is working out awesome. Very happy with the power but the Piranha has peaked my interest. Would be cool to have the electric start though. Hey quick question on the MC Dualsport wheel and tire. Do I HAVE to turn in my hubs or can I just buy the 1000. set outright and pay extra for the hubs ?

·
Registered
146 Posts
350cc Motoped Engine

Tuners in Indonesia build up the Honda C-100 Grand to something like 315cc using a plethora of Takagawa parts then top it off with a Suzuki 4 Valve Head and 41mm Keihin FCR carb! I believe the C-100 will bolt up to the Motoped, if not the bolt pattern is darn close. I was actually corresponding with an engine builder in Indonesian about building one for me before I went in another direction and picked up a high (45ish) HP XR50 engine that pushes 300cc's and uses a 30mm Dellorto carb. I haven't got it mounted yet, too many other projects plus it seems that interest in the first Motoped to hit 100mph has all but fizzled out, haha!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Or how about the motor from one of these bad boys

THE Husqvarna 701 SUPERMOTO.......CLOSE TO 70HP STOCK SINGLE CYLINDER 4-STROKE 701.jpg WHY DID I PICK A PICTURE OF ONE WITH STREET TIRES TO POST, LOOKS DUMB WITH THOSE TIRES

·
Registered
32 Posts
Been awhile since I've been to this site... Yeah I'm still interested in the wheels. I actually wanted to keep my original wheel/tire combo and have the extra set for more offroad stuff. I'll hit you guys up after xmas. thanks
We can do a set without you sending the hubs, but its around $300 more. Motoped has zero hubs, and the only way we can get them (keep in mind we are a Motoped Dealer) is to buy wheels from them, take the apart, and throw away everything except the hubs. What a waste...but we have done it!

If your worried about not having your wheels for a bit, dont worry. We can take a deposit on the hubs, and send you a complete set. You can then get your hubs and send them to us and we return your deposit.

++2 points for Tbolt on motor info/getting parts. They have always been great to us and we love dealing with them!

--John

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been awhile since I've been to this site... Yeah I'm still interested in the wheels. I actually wanted to keep my original wheel/tire combo and have the extra set for more offroad stuff. I'll hit you guys up after xmas. thanks
I've been running 90/100-20 mc tires on stock Motoped wheels for over a year with good results. Rare and hard to find but occasionally you'll see them on Ebay/Craigslist.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts