PlanetMinis Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOW I'm getting sick of this sh*t. 2 hours of ride time after replacing a bent exhaust valve.......... the f*cking intake valve bent!!! I wasn't even at high rpm. I was coming down the side of a creek and right when I hit the gas to power through the flat bottom and back up the hill..... it died. I'm pretty dissapointed now. TB makes some sh*t valves.The bike ran great....timing is on and the jetting is good. It's NOT running lean. What a f*cking joke.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Told you guys it wasnt from over reving!!! Mine and a buddies did the same exact thing around 2 hours ride time was just cruzing and she bent the valve for no reason whatsoever. Seized in the guide. Idk maybe tb is going through a bad phase/batch cuz I do know guys who have ran them forever with no problems. I switched to a takegawa race head and have had no problems. Put her to the test at SF supercross with a 3rd gear pinned burnout standing still. Both the motor and tire were cookin and I dont even have a oil cooler.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Didnt even bother there is no use. Even if they were to send me a brand new head I wouldnt want to run it. 1st of all I have a good tb head that I took off my bros bike, 2nd I dont want to take the chance of running another head and it possibly doing more than just bend the valve it may wipe out my whole top end next time, and third my bike is street legal and pushing it home a couple of miles is no fun. I completely lost faith in tb parts and am done running there stuff and caution others who are thinking about running tb parts!!!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
HRC said:
I'm emailing them now. I'll keep everyone updated on the situation with trailbikes.

So what youll get another head put all the time and labor into rebuilding it and have the same thing happen? I suggest just spending the extra money and getting a tak head!!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I agree, after 2 hours of riding you shouldnt have a problem with your valves. Checking them after the first couple rides, then about every 10-15 hours. I'm not saying you forgot to, but after checking them, did you make sure you had them at .002? and the nuts more than just finger tight?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
The only reason valves bend is because they came in contact with something. Valve just don't bend for no reason unless the head was ported wrong and too much guide material isn't there to support the valve or the springs are not good enough to support that kind of weight or rpm.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
you might have a default head or something. Id see if they could send you another head. Maybe the seats arnt right and causeing the valves to stick. Theres def something thats causeing this.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Its not just his head. TB heads are garbage. Problem is the valves are siezing in the guides for no reason. Mine did it, a buddies did it, guys who I bought my forks off of did it, and HRC's did it twice. Thats 5 different cases iv heard about in the last month or two. My advice is dont run TB heads!

·
Registered
797 Posts
dood said:
The only reason valves bend is because they came in contact with something. Valve just don't bend for no reason unless the head was ported wrong and too much guide material isn't there to support the valve or the springs are not good enough to support that kind of weight or rpm.
I beg to differ! heat will bend valves that are not treated right...or lack of heat treat...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dood said:

Well, Mark AHP did the port work and he has a pretty good reputation.

The springs? Thats what I was thinking but why would they send sh*t springs with the kit?

Bucktorious, the motor was put together right with valves checked after EVERY few rides. I wanted to MAKE SURE they stayed in spec. They were/did.

50whip, what you got? $$?

rc164, I am starting to feel just like you. I spent all that money including EXTRA to port the head. THEN, I gotta buy more valves? THEN, I gotta buy more valves?

No, that last part wasn't a typo.

This is total bullsh*t.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
slayer66 said:
I beg to differ! heat will bend valves that are not treated right...or lack of heat treat...

Heat may bend valves but if the guides are long enough to support them, then you shouldn't have any problems.

It's not like we're talking a 3.0 inch valve Nate. This is less than an inch.

Yes the valve to guide clearance may be wrong causing the valve to stick which then the piston hits the valve face creating the bending process.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
It was not lack of maintainece, wrong assembly, over heating, or anything else. What it is is TB is making garbage heads right now for whatever reason. To prove it is not my motor or assembly skills I switched to tak parts and put my more through 10 times more abuse and nothing has happened.

·
Registered
797 Posts
dood said:
Heat may bend valves but if the guides are long enough to support them, then you shouldn't have any problems.

It's not like we're talking a 3.0 inch valve Nate. This is less than an inch.

Yes the valve to guide clearance may be wrong causing the valve to stick which then the piston hits the valve face creating the bending process.
I understand that but im goin with heat treat on this...I have 4 heads with stretched journals

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.