PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is some pics of my case that I modified to do away with the starter boss. I had a buddy of mine who owns a machine shope put it in a mill and cut it down and machine this nice little cover. While I was there, I also modified the stator cover alittle. After filling in the holes tonight, and some powdercoat, this should look pretty trick.

As for the starter boss hole, I thought about welding it up, then having him machine it back down, but after thinking about it, this took 1 trip to the machine shop, I made a gasket, and it's done. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
aedwards07 said:
Any interest in selling it or making another one?

$85 + shipping. Send me your center and side cover.

Not sure about smaller, but no need to be smaller. I could spend all day welding it, then milling, then re-welding, then milling the gasket surface etc. But, this works, looks trick, and is pretty simple.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aedwards07 said:
Im interested.But what do I do about a gasket for it?

All I did was cut the top off the stocker. Then use this gasket. I will use alittle honda bond on the joint though. I put oil in the cover and held it upside down where the oil was laying on the machined cover, and it didn't leak after about 1-2 hours. So, it shouldn't be any problem.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
mad 110 said:
same here I was think that too. you dont notice it when your riding,so whats the plus of doing it.

I would say to try and reduce some weight.If you have ever picked up a 110 engine you know what im talking about.Whether it saved weight or not its different and I love different.Sometimes cool things happen when your bored....LOL,,,,jking

JC

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
weifjiopwer

.......... if you dont get it........ then you probly just dont get it....... 8)

i dig it. another thought is that welding and machining the cases is an option, BUT you risk warping the mating surfaces due to the heat. ALWAYS looking to lose weight off of my 110. their kind of piggy. mine weighed 161lbs coming off the track with about 3/4 of a tank. now that IS with roadracing tires on, which are kind of heavy..... but still...... 161lbs???? damn.... this next "off season" im going to tear my bike down, grind off all the unused crap on frame and swing-arm and powdercoat. ("crap"= tabs i dont use for chain guide, etc, etc.. ) making titianium axles and swingarm pivot bolt too..... 8)

·
Registered
103 Posts
hmm u shoulda welded it. heres mine that i done a while back and made my own manifold. u can hardly tell where its been welded. and if ur good u dont have to machine the gasket surfaces. if i can get atleast 10 orders to do the same for ppl i will make more.

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not sure about not maching the gasket surfaces, lucky would be the word there I think. LOL. If I did weld it, I would want to machine off the weld so you could not tell. Again, this is a quick and easy way to do this mod. I'm sure there is better ways to do it. My way is not the best, but it is better than 99% of the others out there (who still have the ugly starter boss) including my 180 motor. So, time to tear it down and remove it. Nice job crf!

·
Registered
408 Posts
CHP had willys bike using the original case and ignition cover with no stator mount, it is possible to get across the pond and gaskets are available too...

and its worth itt

·
Registered
191 Posts
crf106 said:
hmm u shoulda welded it. heres mine that i done a while back and made my own manifold. u can hardly tell where its been welded. and if ur good u dont have to machine the gasket surfaces. if i can get atleast 10 orders to do the same for ppl i will make more.

That is clean. The carb set-up is sweet.

Good Job.

·
Registered
921 Posts
You guys are still thinking too "in the box" leave the starter tab and attach a minature supercharger!

Solves the weight problem, makes ugly into pretty and suddenly the bike is a WHOLE lot more fun to ride!

·
Registered
569 Posts
crf106 said:

did you TIG weld the case and and cover or what?

super clean

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.