PlanetMinis Forums banner

861 - 864 of 864 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Very nice !!! What rear shock are you running? I've got one but desperately need to upgrade cause it buttoms out badly!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Very nice !!! What rear shock are you running? I've got one but desperately need to upgrade cause it buttoms out badly!
I'm 99% sure it's bone stock... and you. better believe at 215lbs I'll be bottoming this thing out as well! I haven't pushed it too hard lately but it feels just like I remember, but I did service the forks with new oil and seals so those feel pretty good. I've never experienced any complete bottoming out on the BW80s, no rear tire rubbing fortunately... even with my girlfriend on the back for a couple minute little hoon.
slickz50r, maybe the shock is blown.. you might be able to have a local shop service it.
Guys, I'm onto my next project, an XR 100 flat track/supermoto race bike. 120cc Big bore, Super Head, CR80 front end, Works Shock, high mount flat track style exhaust and I just ordered the Keihin PE28 Kit with the intake adapter and filter for the Takegawa head from Minimob Racing... this one's gonna rip!

·
Registered
1 Posts

New guy here. I know people like pics.
I read the first 10 pages and the last ten pages. And a few more in the middle.
I picked up a 86 BW80 and am trying to get it ready for my 8 year old grandson to ride this summer. It is really rough. It was missing the seat and oil tank. A buddy came over and we pulled the clutch cover off and found this.
Warning the next picture may not be for the faint of heart.

So we pulled the gear off the oil pump and cleaned out the clutch cover as good as we could. Then we siliconed it up and let it set until next days off. We also pulled the back tire off and got the rear brake unsiezed and oiled the chain.
I filled it with oil and no leaks so far. I filled the tank with about 40:1 mix and after figuring out the cobbled on kill swith it fired up. So of course that meant the first lap around my driveway. I'm not a small guy but I made the loop sitting on the frame. No front brakes, but I wasn't going fast enough to use them.
So I've been looking for a couple of parts, like everyone else.
Has anyone made another seat fit because I can't find anything other than seat covers. I don't have the original to redo.
Also is there a air filter that anyone has used because they cant find the hose to hook to the airbox?
I've ordered new front brake shoes so hopefully those are right and I can fix that.
Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I read the first 10 pages and the last ten pages. And a few more in the middle.
I picked up a 86 BW80 and am trying to get it ready for my 8 year old grandson to ride this summer. It is really rough. It was missing the seat and oil tank. A buddy came over and we pulled the clutch cover off and found this.
Warning the next picture may not be for the faint of heart.
So we pulled the gear off the oil pump and cleaned out the clutch cover as good as we could. Then we siliconed it up and let it set until next days off. We also pulled the back tire off and got the rear brake unsiezed and oiled the chain.
I filled it with oil and no leaks so far. I filled the tank with about 40:1 mix and after figuring out the cobbled on kill swith it fired up. So of course that meant the first lap around my driveway. I'm not a small guy but I made the loop sitting on the frame. No front brakes, but I wasn't going fast enough to use them.
So I've been looking for a couple of parts, like everyone else.
Has anyone made another seat fit because I can't find anything other than seat covers. I don't have the original to redo.
Also is there a air filter that anyone has used because they cant find the hose to hook to the airbox?
I've ordered new front brake shoes so hopefully those are right and I can fix that.
Thanks for looking.
There is a seat available on ebay right now (Yamaha BW80 seat / rear cowl | eBay).

For air filter i've been using a little UNI pod air filter (UP-4125AST), but the bike seems to struggle with it, even with the red foam part off. I've heard a lot of good things about the Malossi E12 air filter, so I am going to try it out this weekend. It bolts directly on to the carb (see pic below). It does't look like much, but apparently its shape creates a type of velocity stack effect that makes air flow really well. I replaced the foam that came with it with a denser foam. Might go back to the airbox if there is no noticeable difference.

If you want to use the original air box but don't have the rubber boot that connects it to the carb, you still have options. I bought a length of Gates 23924 Fuel Fill Hose and a 12"x12" piece of 1/4" thick Buna-N rubber. Because the gates hose has a bigger diameter than the carb and air box, I cut some ring washers from the Buna-N rubber to fit between the hose and the box/carb. The benefit of the fuel fill hose and the Buna-N rubber is that they are both very strong and will resist corrosion from gas, weather, etc. The hose is reinforced with spiral wire, so it will not kink. If you are intent on using the air box, consider getting some soffit vents so it can breath easier

861 - 864 of 864 Posts