PlanetMinis Forums banner

841 - 857 of 857 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
What you guys been up to? I moved to Sydney Australia about 20 Months ago and haven't had any 2 wheeled vehicles or projects. Missing the good old BW80 days of tinkering...

finally got 2 wheels last weekend, figured I should get something you can't find in the USA. Hope you and yours are all doing well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
been a long time.... I did have the motor completely overhauled and it runs great, a lot of fun!!! would be better with a 4-speed though..... will ride it for a little while and will then take it apart to paint/powdercoat/replace wheel bearings/brakes ect.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Still looking good! I did similar polishing to my pw80 clutch cover like you did there.

Been trying to find one of these near me for almost 2 years... 2018 is hopefully the year!

·
Registered
81 Posts
thanks Fresh110L, yes they are extremely hard to find and if you do they seem to want a lot for them.

I have replaced all the wheel bearings and seals. replaced the rear tire, put a set of longer bars from Tbolt, replaced the grips and also wrapped the exhaust. I need to extend the kicker and will be modifying the original exhaust cover to fit the FMF pipe.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
First Post here, recently picked up an 86 BW80. I want to put an FMF pipe/silencer on it, but all I can find are for 1991 and newer. Does this fit?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey JB899, I believe the PW80 FMF pipe will fit but you will need to make a few mods. I believe there was a small bend or something small like that you would need to do. Quite a few people have done it.

Best of luck, Aaron

·
Registered
319 Posts
I recently picked up a a 1986 BW80 and a 1995 Suzuki DS80. Neither ran and were beat to hell. I got the DS80 all going great now I am working on the BW80.
i put a new wisco piston in the bw80, got the oil injection working again, cleaned the crap out of the carb and it’s running good. Previous owner put an fmf full exhaust on it. I had to make a bracket for the tail pipe. Sitting in my garage right now contemplating if I should just drink beer or tackle the new breaks, chain and sprockets. Might wait till tomorrow

·
Registered
8 Posts
Where have all the BiG Wheels Gone? I am bringing this back from the dead! IMG_2553.JPG

What you guys been up to? I moved to Sydney Australia about 20 Months ago and haven't had any 2 wheeled vehicles or projects. Missing the good old BW80 days of tinkering...

finally got 2 wheels last weekend, figured I should get something you can't find in the USA. Hope you and yours are all doing well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here i go again with my 2nd BW80! Let the games begin. I am still looking for the info on how to port the reed cage and cut back the tangs/stoppers, anyone have the link? I have looked all day going though the pages!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greetings from TN. Picked this ('86 model) up last week, and ended up here. Many great resources in this thread, and while reading through I have made many notes along with many orders for parts. The bike seems nearly complete, only missing the rear chain guards, stock carb, airbox boot, and front fender. I've removed the oil injection gear & tank. It runs now, but before putting too much on it, I am waiting on a handful of parts.

What I'm looking to learn is in regards to the front brakes. Do you guys have any issues getting them to bite at all? The front drum/hub looks decent inside, and the pads & cable are new. (Not pictured)

I cleaned up the inside with some light sandpaper, installed new EBC shoes (502G) & OEM Yamaha cable (21W-26341-01-00).

The shape of the shoes seems to be making decent contact, but almost zero stopping power. Is this normal on these scoots? The lever to the shoes turns as it should, and I've adjusted everything to have a proper hand lever feel with solid pressure to the cable. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_20190808_180457.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brakes are sorted...we'll just leave it at that.

For the record, there should be some sort of qualifying procedure before you are allowed to purchase & use rattle cans.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First post guys. Loved reading through all these posts.

Quick question:

My 86 BW80's carb is corroded beyond use. There are holes in the body and the standoffs for the float pin are just about gone.

If I ordered an OEM PW80 carb will the jetting and all work for the BW80 in stock configuration?

I had already purchased an Alls Balls BW 80 carb rebuild kit. Would those jets fit in the PW carb if the jetting is different? I have a feeling the jets are different kinds.

841 - 857 of 857 Posts