PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
The four-speed manual-clutch motors with 6V points ignition use a different taper on the flywheel end of the crankshaft than other versions.

The three-speed auto motors with 6V points ignition have their own taper.

I believe all the tapers are the same once you're talking 12V breakerless ignition, but it's a different taper than either of the 6V points ignitions. The part you linked to is for a 12V electronic system, and will be set up for that taper. As will all the inner-rotor kits and current aftermarket stuff.

Somewhere on this site is a thread--a sticky, even, I'm pretty sure--about putting a 12V ignition on a 6V motor. I think it was an ATC70, and I think the author might have been the artist currently known as Z. The thread mentions adapters available on Ebay enabling you to use one kind of flywheel on another kind of crank. I have not used these myself.

http://planetminis.com/f14/cdi-conversion-possible-103631.html

Dr. ATV has a replacement stator/flywheel for four-speed 6V points motors in their performance section (and probably in the CT70H section, SL70 and XL70 section, etc.) but I'm not sure whether it's more Mitsubishi or Hitachi style.

One approach would be to say, as I am kind of doing myself here, "Hey, these Mitsubishi setups are seeming more scarce. Maybe I ought to pick up a used Hitachi stator and flywheel instead, at least as a spare, in case the Mitsubishi needs nonexistent parts at some point."

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
On the 12V models, Honda used 3 different stator assemblies, and 3 different flywheels. Two Mitsuba, 1 Hitachi. And each is a different matched size. You have to match the flywheel to the stator.

6V CT70H stator assemblies are different from the standard 3 speed stator assemblies.

On the 6V models, most of the semi-autos were Hitachi, and some of the 4 speed manuals were mitsubishi.

With that said and the information Mexicanyella provided, let's take a step back and tell us what motor and engine serial number you have. Manual with a 4 speed? 3 speed semi-automatic? The serial number will tell me the year.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Z said:
On the 12V models, Honda used 3 different stator assemblies, and 3 different flywheels. Two Mitsuba, 1 Hitachi. And each is a different matched size. You have to match the flywheel to the stator.

6V CT70H stator assemblies are different from the standard 3 speed stator assemblies.

On the 6V models, most of the semi-autos were Hitachi, and some of the 4 speed manuals were mitsubishi.

With that said and the information Mexicanyella provided, let's take a step back and tell us what motor and engine serial number you have. Manual with a 4 speed? 3 speed semi-automatic? The serial number will tell me the year.

Yeah, whoops, reading this makes me realize I left a lot out last night. I was referring to "Hitachi" and "Mitsubishi" strictly in terms of which four-speed 6V ignition I assumed you had. It didn't even occur to me to ask if you did in fact have a four-speed 6V engine or were searching for ignition parts for a different version. Sorry.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well with The help of Z and a billion clicks on my mouse this is whats been found so far. if anyone searched this out hope some time is saved

heres a link for mitsubishi parts when in stock STATOR ASSY. FOR 70CC'S WITH 4 SPEED'S & MITSUBISHI FLYWHEELS (400079) temp out of stock

and if you just want to go for a hitachi swap heres a link for those parts after you have a backing plate and flywheel Honda CT70 Honda 70 Honda Minitrail NOS Parts and services Kitaco and Takegawa performance parts classic honda minitrails. item 198

thanks again for sharing your infinite wisdom Z you are a Ct God.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts