PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Merry Christmas (Special) to me! -- new build

I picked up another Honda 50 last weekend. This one is an '86 Honda Z50RD "Christmas Special". These were made for one year only, and my understanding is that larger Honda dealerships received just one or two bikes each.

The bike is very complete and currently has a generic Chinese 50cc motor in it, but that won't be in there for long :D

I'm in the process of detailing everything, planning/performing modifications (stock sucks!), and prepping for a debut at a future Elvi ride. Here are a few photos which show how it looked when I picked it up - apologies for the cell phone picture quality. More to come as the project progresses...

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I picked up another Honda 50 last weekend. This one is an '86 Honda Z50RD "Christmas Special". These were made for one year only, and my understanding is that larger Honda dealerships received just one or two bikes each.

The bike is very complete and currently has a stock style non-Honda 50cc motor in it, but that won't be in there for long :D

I'm in the process of detailing everything, planning/performing modifications (stock sucks!), and prepping for a debut at a future Elvi ride. Here are a few photos which show how it looked when I picked it up - apologies for the cell phone picture quality. More to come as the project progresses...

Hey nice ride there, sort of reminds me of the one I left with minibike George to fix. Hey! wait a minute! My bike!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
10,674 Posts
Good score 57 hotrodvw.....How much did you get it for if you don't mind me asking.One of my favourite Z's.
tmas

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey nice ride there, sort of reminds me of the one I left with minibike George to fix. Hey! wait a minute! My bike!!!!!
Nah - couldn't be this one, Dave. It's too new for your tastes... :p

Good score 57 hotrodvw.....How much did you get it for if you don't mind me asking.One of my favourite Z's.
tmas
Thanks tmas. I'd rather keep the details to myself, but I think that I got a really good deal, especially given prices that I've seen for bikes that are nowhere near as nice as mine.

@[email protected] That chrome is stunning! Nice find.
Other than some light rust on the wheels, the chrome is very nice all around. The tank has some dings in it, and I've heard that the aftermarket chrome Z50 tanks are not nearly as nice as the Honda ones.

I've spotted a couple of NOS Z50RD tanks, but their price is way up there (2.5 to 3 times dealer price when they were available), so I may have a local paintless dent repair shop have a look at my tank. I've seen them work their magic on my truck and was amazed.

--Eric

·
Registered
634 Posts
Super jealous! Very cool ride... now I need to find an aftermarket alloy frame and a chrome tank and start building! LOL
Imagine the impression we could leave if we all had chrome bikes! :D

I'll see if I can get those heat shields off tonight, and you can have mine. do you have a plating company you use all ready?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Thats my favorate Z of all time. Its worth more stock but Id be modding it. Nice score!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Super jealous! Very cool ride... now I need to find an aftermarket alloy frame and a chrome tank and start building! LOL
Imagine the impression we could leave if we all had chrome bikes! :D

I'll see if I can get those heat shields off tonight, and you can have mine. do you have a plating company you use all ready?
Thanks, Chris!

Chrome is sooo gaudy - I think you'd be better off building a lean, mean "murdered out" (all black) Z50...;)

DaveMo gave me the skinny on a chrome place in Gainsville, but I'll have to make the journey up north to get a quote - no ballpark prices quoted over the phone.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
I had one years ago, then my parents sold it to a friend of ours (who still has it) I guess its the one mistake i will say my parents have made!

·
Super Moderator
10,674 Posts
Great job on the clean up. Looks awesome....Let us know how you make out with the small dent gas tank repair. The only thing I see missing other than the air filter is the chrome chain guard. Do you have it?
tmas

·
Registered
791 Posts
There's one for sale for $700 on the local CL. Doesn't look nearly as good as yours. I think the price is too high.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
That's looking real nice. Can't believe the difference with the wheel!
The wheels don't look quite as good in person, due to some of the pitting in the metal which remained after rust removal in some spots, but it'll work for now.

The OEM chrome wheels are no longer available through Honda, but I've been thinking about eventually buying a new set of the similar, painted models, stripping them, and having them chromed.

Great job on the clean up. Looks awesome....Let us know how you make out with the small dent gas tank repair. The only thing I see missing other than the air filter is the chrome chain guard. Do you have it?
tmas
Thanks! There's still a lot more detailing to be done, but with time, I think much of the bike will clean up very nicely.

I'll definitely let everyone know what comes out of looking into/having paintless dent repair done on the tank. I had the pleasure of watching a guy work a very large dent out of the rear quarter panel of my truck. I talked to a number of good body shops first, and all said that there was no way to fix without body work. After ~1.5 hours and $125, you'd never know the dent was there, and I'm super particular.

I don't have the chrome chain guard (also no longer available through Honda), but did get a non-chrome version of the same guard with the bike. I'm looking for the correct OEM part, and will see how that search goes in comparison with the cost of getting the black one chromed.

I also need the chrome inner and outer lower heat shields for the exhaust. Same story as with the chain guard, but I'm not yet sure if chrome shields for another Honda 50 model are the same as the Z50RD, and whether or not they're still available.

There's one for sale for $700 on the local CL. Doesn't look nearly as good as yours. I think the price is too high.
This one? It does look pretty beat...
1986 Honda Z50 Christmas Special (Chrome)

·
Registered
634 Posts
my buddy from the hot rod shop said the place all of the hot rodders use is at 175 and 20, but he couldn't remember the name of it off the top of his head. I have another buddy in the aircraft machine business, and he has cad plate guys and hard chrome guys, but everything has to be shipped off for hard chrome (and it's ssssspensive). He's going to talk to his buddy with the motorcycle shop (he's friends with the owner of 2 wheel world) to see who those guys use.

And I can get those shields to you when you're ready.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts