PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have just finished building my Medina Mini SX 160 12" roller and I figured I'd write up a little review on the bike. I want to make clear that I have no obligation to do this, and have no ties with Medina. I was just impressed with the bike so I wanted to write a Review.

So I did what most people do, I searched high and low as I went throught he process to buying a new bike. I previously had an SDG mini, and liked it very much, but it was time to go to a mid-sized bike.

I looked at Thumpstar, Pitster Pro x4, OGM 160SX, and a couple others. I knew I wanted a bike like the Pitster X4 and OGM 160sx. I then found the Medina Mini. It was exactly the same components as an OGM or Pitster minus some dress up billet. But this bike was a fraction of the cost at $1350.00:). So I started doing research and the parts that come on this bike come out of the same factory as OGM and Pitster, but for waay less. So I gave it a try and here is what I discovered:

THE BUIILD

The bike arrived in three boxes. The motor in one, the plastics and tires in one, and the third contained basically all the metal including the forks. The packaging appeared to be sufficient, but then upon closer inspection there was some minor damage i will discuss later.

Basically I laid all the parts out on the ground, as this thing is entirely in pieces, and started with the frame, and worked out. Attaching the rear swinger and forks, then installing the engine, controls and plastics.

The build was not all that difficult, mind you this bike had NO instructions, with the exception of some VERY BRIEF instructions off the Medina site. With that in mind you might want to consider having someone who has built bikes or is fairly mechanically inclined help. Other than that the bike goes together rather well.

Just pack all bearings and the headset with grease, and locktite EVERY BOLT, change the oil before even starting the thing, and your good to go.

So the damage sustained from shipping was a little unfortunate the front forks where both pretty well beat up. The aluminum was pretty well gorged, and the shroud on the left fork was cracked. But a quick call to Medina and no questions asked and they are sending me a brand new set.

I also want to say that the shipping took a lot longer than anticipated. The bike was supposed to arrive in three days. Ended up taking about two weeks(Mainly due to DHL closing in U.S.). Again John at Medina was all about making sure I was happy and he very generously gave me a little credit.

I gotta say John and Bob are outstanding they truly care about there customers, every time I would call John always got back to me in at most a day. That right there is worth more then the bike. Knowing I have support behind the product.
THE RIDE

So I am about 6'1" and weigh about 205lbs. Upon my first impression all I can say is WOW :D, I was all smiles from ear to ear. After some minor adjustments to the DNM rear shock and the rebound and compression on the front forkss this thing is SMOOOTH! I felt the suspension was outstanding I could not ask for anything more, sitting on the bike is very comfortable and your body sits in a much more "natural" position than any 50 I have ridden, including a BBR full perimiter bike.

Note: make sure you check the tire pressure, especially on the rear, you want a little more pressure as supposed to less I spun the tire first time I rode it because it didnt have enough pressure.

THE ENGINE

The engine is a YX 160 with oil cooler and a carb that is a Mikuni knock off. Upon firing up the engine for the first time it sputtered, popped and spit as new engines do. After a little warm up we took it out and began to break it in. Basically riding it in 2nd and 3rd gear and really opening the throttle and then letting off, over and over.

Surprisingly, I felt the carb performed pretty good, most people will tell you to just trash the carb, but until I really find it disappointing me I will probably leave it, works great. The throttle response was right on after a very minor adjustment to the air fuel mix screw, and we left the slide and clip the way it came(little on the rich side).

So we drained the oil after the first ride, and there was some metal stuck to the magnetic drain bolt, but not all that much. Egine is REAL STRONG, it keep my heavy butt on my toes the whole time.

CONCLUSION

All in all I an very happy I went with Medina Mini. I absolutely love the bike, know Ill have to see how long it lasts.;-) I would find it very hard to believe that I would receive the same kind of customer service from Pitster or OGM, I know because I spoke to people at both places. The customer service I received is what really had me sold on the bike in the beginning. I was hoping that this wouldn't be one of those purchases where you get outstanding customer service until the company gets your $$ then they could care less about you. NOT AT ALL, these guys mean business, I highly recommend the Medina Mini, you wont be disappointed.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Thanks for sharing......I almost bought that bike till I found a killer deal on a 08 SX160. The only difference is the SX and X4R come with better wheels and hubs and few other trick pieces but those clones are sweet for the money and John and Bob are straight up guys.

·
Registered
214 Posts
:biggthumpup: Good stuff right there. Maybe they can step up the packaging a little to keep parts in tip top shape during transit.

This may be an option for my 11 yr old son. He currently has a TTR125LE, but has been drooling over my Sx160 since I put it together.

·
Registered
57 Posts
wow thanks for the write up. i'll have to agree with the customer service, i too was comparing prices and what not and bob and john were always there to answer my questions right away. upon reading this, i feel much more assured that not only are these guys great business men, but also sell quality products.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.