PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i just started my 50 and its smoking a lot.. whats wrong? it will only run half decent on full choke but there is a lot of smoke coming out.. i can make a video if you really need to see but other then thati just want to figure out whats wrong!!!

THX

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ps - i just replaced the piston/rings because last time it blew up from sucking some sand, it smoked a lot then finally gave out and wouldnt start till i put the new piston/rings in.. then it would start but had a hinderence of smoke from the exhaust, now its a lot

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
When you re-did the top end, did you coat the cylinder with oil? :roll:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Oh. 8O Well next time do that. :wink: How much is coming out?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
- Make that video if you could !!!

- First of all , how did you suck that much dirt in by the air filter to cause such a major failure ?

- Did the filter fall off ?

- If you sucked that much dirt to make it smoke this bad I would figure most likely the cyl would also be wiped out as well as the rings

- You say you've already done this before on other bikes , so please don't take it the wrong way but I'm also gonna figure you've already checked or done the below items ?

- Check the spark plug to see if it's coated with oil or gas .

- The color of the smoke coming out the exhaust would also tell you what's up . Blue for oil and black would be fuel .

- I guess you know to stagger the ring gaps ?

- Install the rings in the proper order + facing up properly ?

- Installed new o-rings that fit between the block + cyl and head + cyl in their proper spots?

- Check the cyl bore fore massive scoring marks and also out of round .

- Hone or over size bore the cyl depending on the condition of the bore .

- I believe that any time new rings are installed in a non coated cyl it should be at least honed to break the glaze .

- Compression + leak down tests will pin point any problem related to loss of compression and some oil leaks .

- Maybe the cyl or the head is cracked or the valve guide seals are bad ??

- Very hard to diagnose with out being there .

G

·
You always want to hone your cylinder after you take it off. That is when you put the little cross hatchings in it to seat the rings. My guess is that the rings will not seat and you are blowing oil by them. You want to use stock Honda oil after rebuild so it will seat rings then you can use high performance oils.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i bought a brand new piston/rings from honda here.. i took 600grit emry cloth and cross hatched it too.. this is my first four stroke motor so as far as working with valves/etc im clueless.. ive done motors on 125/250 2 strokes..

johnny b - i did basically everything you mentioned, except the leak down.. have never understood how to do that.. i will make the video today ok? the smoke isnt black, more white with maybe a hint of blue.. my 1978z50 doesnt smoke and ive never done anything to it 8O

im going to make an album under pics cause i took some yesterday after getting some parts

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I was never taught to hone a cyl with emry cloth by hand ?

You could never get a perfect cross hatch by hand .

I know it took some doing to get it right with the proper tool .

The best way to get a proper hone is to bring it to a machine shop , they've got all the right tools !!! :wink:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.