PlanetMinis Forums banner

lots of questions z 50/crf 50

836 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  freeride132 
#1 ·
hey guys i been reading these forums for awhile and i use to run a xr 50, anyway, i have a z 50 now and i plan on puttin some money into it now i paid 200 bucks for it and i like it way more than my xr, its so much more comfortable and the suspension is so much better to me anyways, i know alot of you guys will disagree lol

anyhow, i had a few questions i thought a few of you guys could answer for me

i was taking some measurements today and it looks like i could use a crf/xr 50 rear wheel on it does anyone have a idea of how much a complete wheel with hub from honda? i cant find microfische for 50s but i know for a 70 its about 200 bucks a wheel, i also wanan switch to crf front forks , so that i have a wider variety of bar kits to choose from and i can use a crf 50 front wheel and tire i know it sounds like a lot of money to put in a z, but i just have so much more fun riding it than a xr, now my second question

im super pleased with the rear shocks as compared to the stock xr back shock but id like to get something a lil better, i read awhile back someone said if you call works performance they will make you a pair is t his true?

also, i know alot of xr 50 frames stretch but my z frame seems to be holding up way better , did honda design the z frame stronger? i know its a heavier frame weight wise

i also have a motor question i have a 72cc cyluinder with 70 head, but im running a stock xr carb and stock 70 cam with a 70 pipe and cr 80 silence

anyhow it has quite a bit of snap but mellows out in the midrange, is my carb killing some of the power and will a fast 50s speed cam help? also those fat ass heavey wheels and tires just seem to kill it

thanks for any help guys, i know your mostly into the newer 50s but any help would be appreciated

See less See more
#4 ·
96Z50R said:
hey, i have a 96 z50 and i got a fast50s bar kit and i am satified! i would keep the forks.

i hate the forks, everytime i land hard they tweak out of shape there worn, super sloppy, real pain in the ass, i could rebuild them but i dunno if its worht it, i like how my wheels and tires dont rut up jumps that bad but for racing id really like to have xr wheels and tires

#5 ·
My apologies for not addressing this thread, but I've been tied up, and the information will take some time to compile.

To basically answer your questions, the XR/CRF 50 forks should bolt right on if you use the entire front end.

Rear suspension will be more difficult, as most of the parts out there are for Honda Monkey 8 and 10" wheels with the dual shock setup. However, you can make that setup work quite nicely with a 8cm over stock Daytona Swingarm, and a 10" rear Kitaco wheel, and a set of 285-305mm rear Daytona (showa) shocks. Run a 4.00X10 Bridgestone Trailwing tire. Or, G-craft makes a mono-shock swingarm, but you'll still have to run the same 10" rims. Either way, the swingarm will run you $300, the shocks, $250, the rear wheel about $150, the tire $40, and you'll have an Aluminum rear wheel and a spoked front 10" XR50 wheel and your bike may look rather strange.

I'd keep it cheap, and run some heavy-duty front springs, 1" over stock, and some new Fork legs with new Delron bushings, and a good pair of aftermarket shocks, and call it a day.

www.g-t.co.jp

click in the minibike tab on the right side of the page, and scroll down on the left side of the page to one of the links in the middle of the "Monkey" section and start looking at parts. All in Japanese, but with a little practice, you'll soon find your way around.

#6 ·
i wanna run a xr 50 complete rear wheel i think i could make it work with my stock swingarm, i wanted to know if works performance will make me a pair of rear shocks

if i run stock xr 50 forks do i need +1 legsto make the bike sit right?

i kinda like the stock wheels and tires becuasre they dont tear up the jumps but everyone i ride with has xrs so it doesnt reall matter plus i cased a jump and bent my wheels all out of shape....

thanks for the info z88, those are some super trick z parts, any more help or info would be appreciated!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.