PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the Z out a few days ago and did some small jumps with my son. Nothing big -3ft tall dirt ramps. Well, since then Ive noticed the front end seems loose. I noticesd I have some front/back play on the steering head and Im wondering If thats normal. I replaced the bearings with these a while back but just noticed this. Any ideas on what to check? I dont think I busted the bearings so Im stumped.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Were there numbers stamped or screened onto the bearing races?

I'd love to know what they were / are.

How to test head bearings :

Place bike on stand

Elevate front wheel

Push lightly on either handle bar end

Bars should 'coast' to the pushed side stop, no binding or bearing lockup.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LoudFastUgly said:
Were there numbers stamped or screened onto the bearing races?

I'd love to know what they were / are.

How to test head bearings :

Place bike on stand

Elevate front wheel

Push lightly on either handle bar end

Bars should 'coast' to the pushed side stop, no binding or bearing lockup.

Are you referring to the vin number on the frame? If so, they are stamped.

The bars coast the way they should but there is play if you lock the front brake while rolling the bike.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
When the bearings are new they will be nice and tight. As you ride it a little it will develop play just like you are feeling. They change will slow down and stop to where you don't ever need to adjust it again. To test if it's indeed the bearings with play not the forks, pull the brake with one hand and put your thumb and pointer finger at the place where the headtube and steering stem meet. (the black cover thing on top and the headtube) rock the bike front and back and if you feel play then there is play.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put the bike on a milk crate with the front wheel off the ground. If I push on the front wheel I can see the bottom of the head tube. I can see the movement between the dust seal and the bottom triple tree.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.