PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1985 Honda Z50R Mini Bike

Looking to pick up this 85z50 its in good shape just wondering if there is anything about the 85z's i should know about?? Im looking to just throw different swingarm and forks/bars on it to ride around in the pits i saw air50's z and i want to build one now haha.. any help or tips is appreciated

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
If you're just going to ride it around the pits, no need to change the forks or swingarm, but if you're more than about five feet tall, you'll probably want to change the bars.

My son has a Z50R that's made of '79 and '86 parts...the '86 motor in it is quiet and smooth and a little quicker than my old '71 hardtail. Ours has the older round-hole wheels and bulkier brake drums/hubs, though.

If it does in fact run good, like the ad claims, they're pretty simple and bombproof. Bent fork lowers are common; no big deal to fix, but a bargaining point to be aware of. It's not uncommon to hear the camchain when the bike is running, but it shouldn't be loud and slappy. Shouldn't be obvious valve noise. Shouldn't be much if any exhaust smoke; a puff coming out on a rev after it's been idling for a few minutes is no big deal though. Check side-to-side play at the swingarm pivot, check wheel bearing play, check that the forks and rear shocks stroke smoothly up and down, check steering head bearing play. Good luck.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mexicanyella said:
If you're just going to ride it around the pits, no need to change the forks or swingarm, but if you're more than about five feet tall, you'll probably want to change the bars.

My son has a Z50R that's made of '79 and '86 parts...the '86 motor in it is quiet and smooth and a little quicker than my old '71 hardtail. Ours has the older round-hole wheels and bulkier brake drums/hubs, though.

If it does in fact run good, like the ad claims, they're pretty simple and bombproof. Bent fork lowers are common; no big deal to fix, but a bargaining point to be aware of. It's not uncommon to hear the camchain when the bike is running, but it shouldn't be loud and slappy. Shouldn't be obvious valve noise. Shouldn't be much if any exhaust smoke; a puff coming out on a rev after it's been idling for a few minutes is no big deal though. Check side-to-side play at the swingarm pivot, check wheel bearing play, check that the forks and rear shocks stroke smoothly up and down, check steering head bearing play. Good luck.

Awesome thank you thats just what i was looking for!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
No problem, and I mentioned all those things above to be considered as bargaining points, not unfixable pitfalls. Not much is unfixable...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
o yea forsure im actually givin him and xbox 360 haha and games so i figure im givin him about 300-350.. im definently gonna put a tb +3 swinger if i can find one and hopefully i can get a set of those triple clamps to run the klx forks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts