PlanetMinis Forums banner

Looking for updated info on Bar Kits and Shocks

856 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  DirtySouthRacing 
#1 ·
Whats up everyone... I just wanted to get some quick updated views on a couple things. I just got my crf50 and am trying to beef up the suspension for some street hooliganism and the occasional trail riding. Here's the questions:

1. I am almost set at getting the 7" Super Bar/Bar Clamp/BilletThrottle Kit from Fast50s as my handlebar kit since I decided that the BMX style kits were for me. If I go with the applied springs in the front with +1 chromoloys, will I need an extended brake line for the fast50s kit? What do I do exactly about the kill switch since the description doesnt detail any kill switch included with the kit Any comments regarding the 7" vs the 8" Fast50s bar setups? Who has the best deal right now on the 7" kit in black shipped?

2. I am still kind of up in the air in regards to what to do with the rear shocks. I am debating between the Ishock with resevoir and the Fox shock/spring w/ resevoir as well assembly for the crf50 (I only found pics of the fox shock at holeshot motorsports). The ishock has had some great reviews on this site but nobodys really spoken about the fox shock. Anyone know where I can go and read up on the fox shock? Like spring rate (what lbs is it rated at), does it have both rebound and compression adjustments? Is it a gas shock?

3. Who makes the most inexpensive rear brake handlebar conversion?

See less See more
#2 ·
FourDoor said:
Whats up everyone... I just wanted to get some quick updated views on a couple things. I just got my crf50 and am trying to beef up the suspension for some street hooliganism and the occasional trail riding. Here's the questions:

1. I am almost set at getting the 7" Super Bar/Bar Clamp/BilletThrottle Kit from Fast50s as my handlebar kit since I decided that the BMX style kits were for me. If I go with the applied springs in the front with +1 chromoloys, will I need an extended brake line for the fast50s kit? What do I do exactly about the kill switch since the description doesnt detail any kill switch included with the kit Any comments regarding the 7" vs the 8" Fast50s bar setups? Who has the best deal right now on the 7" kit in black shipped?

I suggest getting the clamp of your choice, applied throttle, perch/break lever, throttle cable and break cable, and choose some bars that you like most from a BMX store. Most of the bars that come in these kits aren't the greatest .. but that is just my personal opinion. Doing this will also save you some money.

2. I am still kind of up in the air in regards to what to do with the rear shocks. I am debating between the Ishock with resevoir and the Fox shock/spring w/ resevoir as well assembly for the crf50 (I only found pics of the fox shock at holeshot motorsports). The ishock has had some great reviews on this site but nobodys really spoken about the fox shock. Anyone know where I can go and read up on the fox shock? Like spring rate (what lbs is it rated at), does it have both rebound and compression adjustments? Is it a gas shock?

All up for the Ishock. The FOX shock I believe comes right off of the mountain bike. I havn't ridden it personally, but if it was the hot tip compared to the Ishock, more people would have it.

3. Who makes the most inexpensive rear brake handlebar conversion?

You can make your own rear brake handbar conversion, there is picture on here showing how to do so I believe. There is also one on ebay all the time, but havn't seen it on there for awhile.

Hope I could help..

#3 ·
Thanks LogiKal. I see that the Fast50s 7" kit I want is around $200. As I don't have any expereince with building, and picking the parts I want, I figured going with a kit would be best right now. I just need to figure out if I do need extended cables, throttle/brake if I install the applied springs, chromoloy forks +1 since it can essentially raise it 2-3"s if I read everything correctly. And what do I dot about the kill switch with this kit?

As far as the Fox shock goes, the guy at holeshot just emailed me back and said it wasn't available quite yet. So I guess I will be going with the Ishock.

As far as the rear handlebar brake converseion, I'll search the forums to see if I can find it.

G
#4 ·
Hey fourdoor. Most people I know don't care about having a kill switch. They just switch the key off. That way you don't accidentally bump it while riding anyhow.

If you are getting a BMX bar kit, I would get the longer cables, if you are going MX, you might be ok by just rerouting your brake cable.

Dano has some good technical advice for this stuff here:

http://www.danosbikeshop.com/technical.php?OID=mainTbl

Don't think you can go wrong with an I-shock.

#7 ·
#8 ·
I think I'm leaning towards not getting a will switch and just using the key as described by others. I'll look for extended brake/throttle cables...

five0addict: how will the +1 cromo lowers make the ride stiffer? I thought it just extended the fork height. I think i totally misunderstood the purposes of the cromo +1s...

#12 ·
Bushings are cheap and for the money its not worth it to not get them because in the end you'll be kicking yourself in the face for it. They will make so much of a difference in the feel too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.