PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I am looking for a tool that compresses the rear shocks of a CT70 that enables you to dissasemble and re-assemble the shocks. It is the compression tool that helps take the pressure off of the top nut. I know some companies make them, so lead me in the right direction, or if you have one for sale, send pics and price. Thanks

Jamie

[email protected]

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I've been waiting for over 6 months for this guy to make one and not making any progress. I was hoping somebody had one out there that they aren't using any more.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not to mention tearing up a nice new paint job. The key is to put some type of cushioning underneath the mounting hole so it doesn't damage the shock cap. Ryan can figure it out.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Done! I can honestly say that this tool works fantastic and requires VERY little effort. The process of compressing the shock requires only 1 person with a 9/16 wrench. If you are worried about the paint on your shock caps, I would recommend one layer of masking tape on the top of the cap where it would see metal to metal contact and you should be good to go. I tried lining the inside part with felt, but it kept getting snagged between the cap and the eye nut when re-assembling. The masking tape will do just fine.

The process is super simple and takes no more than a couple minutes. You just set the shock in place, slide the provided bolt through the lower eye and spin on the wingnut (no need to tighten up on it really), put the flat washers and nuts on the ends of the threaded rod, and then tighten them up a few rotations at a time, alternating from side to side. Before you know it you are able to get a wrench on the flats of the locknut on the shock shaft and break that eye nut loose. This is a very safe and sturdy tool.

If anyone is interested send me a PM or email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now that's what I'm talking about. Ryan, you will sell a boat load of those things. Now there's a place for all those shocks that are laying on my garage floor. For you guys doing restorations, go by the new caps, paint, rework the springs, paint, re-assemble and you have "like new" original shocks again. Great job!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, thought I'd post how I did this. I can't make any guarantees on safety, but for my z50 shocks, the springs don't need to be under much pressure to get far enough to put the caps on and get a wrench on there. Once I thread it as far as I could by hand, then I take the clamps off, and leave the carpenters square in there as I tighten the cap. Once done, I just try to slide out the wrench and square as gracefully as I can. Good luck. Oh, and the bottom of the shock just goes into a pine 1x4 with a 1" hole drilled in it.
Bumper Auto part Wire Bolt cutter Wheel
Cutting tool

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.