PlanetMinis Forums banner

1821 - 1828 of 1828 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here is my 1973 Honda Z50.

Original engine was locked up, full of dirt, and had bent valves. I bought a 1985 Honda ATC70 engine with a broken crankshaft and mixed and matched parts from the z50 engine and other models until I had a complete bike. It's got Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki bits on it too.

70cc, 4 speed transmission, 6V points ignition, kickstart, auto-clutch.

It didn't come with a fuel tank, so I made one out of an old water expansion tank. My welding isn't great, but this project is all about having fun, learning stuff, and not spending money.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had a Z50 in the early 70s and just got this '86 last week for my boys from the original owners that was only use by their daughter for a year and stored in their garage.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Here is my 1980 Z50R upgraded with 125cc motor and 8 inch swingarm extension along with the CT-70 exhaust. This also has ultra low sprocket ratios and is set up for hill climbing thick woods trail riding although the extended wheel base afforded by the swingarm extension makes this a seriously good handling rideable road bike. Note the rear wheel has super large lugs on the tread and phenomenal traction is the result
traction is the result.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Here is my 1980 Z50R upgraded with 125cc motor and 8 inch swingarm extension along with the CT-70 exhaust. This also has ultra low sprocket ratios and is set up for hill climbing thick woods trail riding although the extended wheel base afforded by the swingarm extension makes this a seriously good handling rideable road bike. Note the rear wheel has super large lugs on the tread and phenomenal traction is the result traction is the result.
That is freaking killer!!!

How's the Kepspeed swinger treating you? I'm thinking about getting one for my Grom.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Only with the help from many in this group was I able to make the conversion. I was afraid I was making a mistake by going the full 8 inches extra on the swingarm as many recommended against it but I am so glad I went with the big one. The handling is incredibly improved and solved the major problem of flipping out from under me when going up steep hills. I dropped two teeth in the front sprocket and now with the super low gearing and the 125 engine the only use I have for 1st gear is towing school busses. I think I hit redline at 7 mph. For regular riding on city streets I start out
in 3rd gear most of the time. My favorite part of the whole conversion I forgot to mention is the center kick stand. It really makes it easy to work on and also much easier to kick start. I dont know if you can see but there is a whopping space above the rear wheel which I can slip a full size box of kleenex into without interference with max rear wheel movement. I am planning to build a little sheet metal storage compartment there. Also not immediately evident is the use of the original rear shocks. I bought some shock rod extensions and added them to the orig. shocks. I have had
the bike on some crazy rough trails and they work just fine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
50-50 - About the KepSpeed swingarm. I got it from WeBike and it seems to be very hi quality. No directions and I was a bit stumped how to handle the rear brake rod but a closeup view of my downloaded hi res photos from above will show that the solution was ultimately very simple. Just put a little right angle bend in the rod and it all worked out fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just finished up building this little guy this summer. Traded some old parts for a Z50 knock off and made it into this. Street legal and super fun to ride around town, the looks I get are priceless.
IMG_20190807_155531_850.jpg
20190804_130828.jpg

1821 - 1828 of 1828 Posts