PlanetMinis Forums banner

41 - 60 of 1828 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Re: Lets see everyone's Z!

Before I forget... The white one seen below started life out as an orange 1984 Z50R. I stripped it, painted it white, slapped a 1979 XR75 rear end and a 2000 XR70 front end on it. The seat is G-Craft from Japan. As I remember, it was around $300 alone. The engine is a chinese 125cc with a manual 4 speed tranny and the pipe is a D&D that was super loud. It was a fun build. I sold it.

This one was an 85 I think and I put an XR600 headlight on it and deep deep tread snowblower tires. It was scary to ride.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Here's James(7yo) on his 05 CRF 50 and Timothy(5yo) on an 87 Z50. The Z was just bought off the original owner with all paperwork and registration. It's all original and unmolested. Runs like a champ and only paid $350. Picture was taken at our house yesterday.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
It's a good start right ???

:lol:

This is a basket case project that was give'n to me last year . The motor and the chassis are the only things good enough to reuse . Every thing else is basically a total loss .. :(

·
Registered
159 Posts

Hi all, my name is dogboy from Mudgee (country town 4 hours west of Sydney) Australia. Its the home town of Crusty demon's Steve Mini.

Honda Australia brought out the Z50A (K1 in USA) until 1976 when they changed to the Z50J1 (or Z50A-k5 in USA) until 1978 then came the Z50JZ until 1981 the early Z50A and J's all can be legally ridden on the street.

From 1981 to 1990's we got the Z50R but they are strictly off road and can not be ridden on the street. Therefore, any of the pre 1981 Z50's are rare and desirable, one in need of restoration will cost $800-$1200, a mint one went for $3,200 on ebay a few months ago!

In 2007 Honda Australia brought out the first Z50JZ since 1981 - The 40 year anniversary black/red model for $3,500, however, they did not get past by our local design rules (didn't want to go to the expense) so they are collectors items only and can't be ridden on the street.

Enough with the OZ history lesson, here's my 1980 Z50J. I wanted to keep it all Honda but make it a bit different, so did a copy of the 2002 "Freddie Spencer" CB750 tribute bike (we never got it here)

Before:

After:

We have a small forum dedicated to Monkey bikes in OZ called Monkey Garage (MonkeyGarage Home) all are welcome to check it out and show us your bikes.

·
Registered
408 Posts

Dogboy said:
Hi all, my name is dogboy from Mudgee (country town 4 hours west of Sydney) Australia. Its the home town of Crusty demon's Steve Mini.

Honda Australia brought out the Z50A (K1 in USA) until 1976 when they changed to the Z50J1 (or Z50A-k5 in USA) until 1978 then came the Z50JZ until 1981 the early Z50A and J's all can be legally ridden on the street.

From 1981 to 1990's we got the Z50R but they are strictly off road and can not be ridden on the street. Therefore, any of the pre 1981 Z50's are rare and desirable, one in need of restoration will cost $800-$1200, a mint one went for $3,200 on ebay a few months ago!

In 2007 Honda Australia brought out the first Z50JZ since 1981 - The 40 year anniversary black/red model for $3,500, however, they did not get past by our local design rules (didn't want to go to the expense) so they are collectors items only and can't be ridden on the street.

Enough with the OZ history lesson, here's my 1980 Z50J. I wanted to keep it all Honda but make it a bit different, so did a copy of the 2002 "Freddie Spencer" CB750 tribute bike (we never got it here)

Before:

After:

We have a small forum dedicated to Monkey bikes in OZ called Monkey Garage (MonkeyGarage Home) all are welcome to check it out and show us your bikes.

Very cool bike. My wife is visiting family in Budgewoi this week. Next time she goes I'm going to request that she pick up some Australia-market Z parts for me. I may go with her and get an entire bike.

I wonder if I can get away with a Z50 sized carry-on bag? :cool:

·
Registered
4,659 Posts

I know some magazine or website got an entire CRF450R on a plane. It was disassembled and packed in many cases. I don't remember who it was, but they did it.

Lair said:
Very cool bike. My wife is visiting family in Budgewoi this week. Next time she goes I'm going to request that she pick up some Australia-market Z parts for me. I may go with her and get an entire bike.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts

Lair said:

The Monkey hasn't officially been exported to Australia in years. the tank, shocks and other parts on that bike are from the Japan Market off of one of the JDM limited Edition Honda Monkeys, most notibly the 2005 Limited Edition, not exported to Australia.

Finding Z parts in Australia is like trying to find a Z50 shop here in the USA that you can walk into and purchase parts. Not likely. Look on Aussie Ebay.

·
Registered
159 Posts

Honda Australia does stock or will get all replacement parts that they are still making in Japan, so you can order anything but it cost $$$$$. We can currently buy the 40 year anniversary model

for $3,500. But not street legal.

Second hand Z50J parts in OZ are like rocking horse SH*T, i've seen parts go for alot more then what u can buy new from Honda. No tuning parts (takegawa, g-craft, kitaco etc) are available in OZ all have to come via japan online stores. Most aussie's buy international from cmsnl.com or hondaminitrail.com because there cheaper even with postage added. So Lair, (I used to live 25mins from Budgewoi) you won't find many parts and they'll be dearer then USA! The only thing we can get is second hand import z50J's from Japan, they can't be ridden on the street, however, you can get an old bike, keep the frame with compliance plate (Needed for street legal riding) and put all the new parts off the jap model on it. (I've read in some threads that the USA won't let jap models come in due to pollution rules)

The only things bought new from Honda on my bike were the fork bushes, fork rubber seal/cap, swing arm bushes, headlight bucket & chrome ring, turn signals, mirrors. Everything else on my bike has been powdercoated or painted, the vinyl decals were made by a local sign shop.

Here's some build picks.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts

Wow, it's hard to pic a fav from here, they're all very nice. What's the difference between a monkey and a gorilla?

·
Registered
256 Posts

shw911 said:
Nice bike Dogboy...awesome transformation.

I second that....my Panda would look good like that. Wish I could come up with my own ideas without copying all of you guys on here!!! Good work!!!

41 - 60 of 1828 Posts