PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1973 k4 z50
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,
I am afraid that I too have been bitten by the z50 bug. It happened so fast. Last spring I bought a k4 from a friend of mine who got it on a trade. 100 bucks. And me with a grandson and only six months til retirement. I cleaned the carb and plug, drained the tank and put in fresh gas. It started after several kicks and ran , although a litte rough.I rode it about 3 miles before deciding to restore it and give it to my grandson. It will be a rider. I have been reading alot on this forum while working on the build. thank you all for the info I have I gleaned from this site so far. I've never been on any forum ever so be gentle. My first question is about an oil pump. Should I get a high volume pump or stick with a standard? It will be a standard bore 50. I took the oil pump,cleaned and bagged it without taking any measurements for weai. I want a new pump either way.

·
Registered
1973 k4 z50
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The sidecase screws looked like they had never been touched,but the kickstart lever had been welded to the shaft.So far I have bought parts from chp and nevc.I have the bike all back together and the engine all apart. My second quesion is about circlips.Do you use regular snap ring pliers on those like the one that holds on the main driven gear? Or is there a special type pliers for them?

·
Registered
113 Posts
IMHO you don't need a hv oil pump- think of all the bikes still running on a regular pump. As to circlips I use a regular Channellock one that at the flick of a switch handles both internal and external. Just be careful not to over stretch them. Now you need to find a CT 70 for yourself- he will need a riding partner ;)

·
Registered
1973 k4 z50
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I have trans bearings,chp engine rebuild kit kickstart and shaft and clutch friction discs ordered from chp..And a standard cylinder and piston set from nevc.What weight oil is most common for a virginia climate? I noticed chp or nevc sell 10w30 or 10w40 but no straight 30w. I think I will be looking very soon for a 70 or a 50 to build.Too much fun not to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts