PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 04 kx85 wheels on eBay…. I have a 2012 klx140 and a 2019 klx140G. I wanted to put the 14/17 wheels on the G like my reg klx140 but based on a couple threads I saw kx85 wheels also fit, scored a set pretty cheap and trying to fit them and they are not the right size? What’s the best way to go about this the kx85 wheels didn’t come with the wheel bearing dust covers and the klx140G ones don’t work on the front for sure. If I buy the caps for the kx85 wheels Should it be a install and go or did I burn myself

· Registered
3,896 Posts
I bought 04 kx85 wheels on eBay…. I have a 2012 klx140 and a 2019 klx140G. I wanted to put the 14/17 wheels on the G like my reg klx140 but based on a couple threads I saw kx85 wheels also fit, scored a set pretty cheap and trying to fit them and they are not the right size? What’s the best way to go about this the kx85 wheels didn’t come with the wheel bearing dust covers and the klx140G ones don’t work on the front for sure. If I buy the caps for the kx85 wheels Should it be a install and go or did I burn myself
I answered your reply on my thread, but I didn't know you were putting the KX wheels on the G bike. I believe at least the front hub of the G bike is different than the R and L. Go to Service Honda Parts and check part numbers. If I ever build a full mod KLX- I'd use the G frame because it's longer at the head tube. For now our Fun-40's are staying stock mod. I'll keep working with mine at least- gotta figure out a better carb- but I may keep going with them. We'll see. --L*64

· Administrator
11,224 Posts
Both the 140 and the 85 wheels use a 12mm front axle and a 14mm rear axle, meaning that the wheel bearings are the same ID size for both sets of wheels. Why not just remove the 140 wheels, install the 85 wheels without the spacers, and see how they sit? In all probability, you'll need bigger brake rotors and different wheel spacers to make them work, for starters.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both the 140 and the 85 wheels use a 12mm front axle and a 14mm rear axle, meaning that the wheel bearings are the same ID size for both sets of wheels. Why not just remove the 140 wheels, install the 85 wheels without the spacers, and see how they sit? In all probability, you'll need bigger brake rotors and different wheel spacers to make them work, for starters.
I did, next thing I’m going to do is verify that even my 2012 regular klx140 wheels fit on the 2019 klx140G and then go from there

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: kx 85 wheels fit on 140G with regular 140 collars/ dust caps whatever there called. The 140/140L I believe it’s a direct swap in. I’m not sure if the kx85 collars will work, didn’t get any with my wheels. All 140s have the same space in swingarm and front forks, but the 140G’s front hub is narrower than the other 2.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts