PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I was riding today and hit a whoop section I have at my house. Got a little off balance (rut through the center) and had dab my foot. Didnt even think it was gonna be bad but i was wrong. I felt a destinct POP (not break, crack etc.) My toes went numb(for only about 5 mins), and I knew i was screwed. Pain was REALLY bad at first, but later became somewhat managable. But after talking to a few people I decided to have it checked becasue of the "pop". Ive heard of people like Villipoto riding for years with a slight injury and it coming back to haunt them. So i got xrayed and nothing was broken (I knew this). The doc says I need to follow up with a MRI to see if theres any ligament or tendon damage. My question is should I do this? I REALLY dont have the money to spend on all of this, but dont want to have a bum knee either. The pain is on the left side of my left knee, right where the Fibula (smaller leg bone) connects to the knee area. It felt like it popped out or something. Have any of you delt with this? Its not the normal forward and backward movement that hurts, but rather ANY side to side movement. Should I go have the MRI? Id hate for it to be nothing....but damn it really hurts. If you have had anything like this PLEASE let me know your thoughts. Im 28 years old and have a lot of MX life left in me, just wanna make sure I do the right thing so it heals 100%. Thanks in adavace fellas....:confused:

·
Registered
92 Posts
man if u can spare it get it checked i have had three knee surgerys and im only 20 all because of neglection to go to the doctor i have two full knee replacments man do it trust me even if it nds up minor a acl tear is really bad and it could b mcl pcl miniscuc lots of things just do it

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've had a similar injury but just a little under the knee, I crashed after a jump and my leg went straight into some part of my dirtbike. It was so bad I could see things pumping inside. I decided to patch it up myself instead of stiches + MRI and not worry about it but the pain somewhat went away and left a big purple spot on my leg that has been there for over eight months, it looks like a huge bruise. So I say dont be like I did, go get it checked out because if not who knows what might happen

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
etgethome said:
man if u can spare it get it checked i have had three knee surgerys and im only 20 all because of neglection to go to the doctor i have two full knee replacments man do it trust me even if it nds up minor a acl tear is really bad and it could b mcl pcl miniscuc lots of things just do it

Man I really appreciate you guys taking the time to read my post. Im not familiar AT ALL with all that stuff. From what the doc said the acl and mcl? cross under the knee cap. So i guess I can rule that out huh? Thats not where it hurts, its off to left side (where the knot is) of my left knee. Im bummed man....dont wanna end up like you ( no offence AT ALL). I guess i should just go get it checked. The pain isnt THAT bad though. It has slowly gotten better since this knee immobilizer was put on. (granted i havnt moved it).

·
Registered
207 Posts
I can almost promise you it's your ACL. The exact same thing happened to me in June. I was in a whoops section on my pitbike too, was about to fall so I dabbed my foot, felt a pop, my knee felt locked up for a couple hours, went to get an MRI the following Monday and found out the expected, my ACL torn completely from the bone.

It's a great idea to get it checked out. If your ACL/MCL is the case, it's not necessary to have an ACL. I still have yet to get mine fixed. Focus on building up your quad muscles. This will compensate for lack of ACL. I started riding two weeks after I tore mine. Yes, it may not be the best thing, but it does not bother me when I ride. Get some knee braces!

Hope this helps,

Katie

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Katie[/QUOTE]

Thanks Katie...your are always so helpfull ;-) Did it take you long to heal? What did they do for it once you found out it was torn?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I had the same happen to me back in Jan. with my knee... heard and felt a loud pop in my knee after catching myself when i screwed up in the end of a rythem section going into a turn.... couldn't walk for about a week, finally got to walking on it but very sore. I couldn't keep myself from racing the last few pitbike races. But everyone told me it was an Acl torn. but never went to the doctor. It got to were it didn't hurt that bad but couldn't completely bend it for over a month. But now it seems fine but every now and then i can land wrong or jam it when going through a turn and i have sharp pains. I really don't like the idea of knee surgery, guess im just gonna take my chances that it will heal up. Kinda of the reason im getting out of the riding scene and getting back into my other hobbies.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Get it checked, I've had four surgerys on my two :(

One the MRI didn't show the tear in the a.c.l and they found it after scoping it. Rode for a year with one bad and had Cti's, then tore my other amd got em both fixed: worth it. So much pain if you tweak em in corners, everytime it pinches cartilidge off resulting in a looser joint in the long run=arthritisss

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had a similar thing happen years ago...I was actually jumping in Pastranas foampit (sorry random cool name drop haha) and my knee popped, it BLEW up and I couldn't bend it after a few hours. Got it checked out and it was my MCL that blew...didn't need surgery but took about 3 months to heal and get back to doing stuff/riding. Good luck

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
seth399 said:
I had a similar thing happen years ago...I was actually jumping in Pastranas foampit (sorry random cool name drop haha) and my knee popped, it BLEW up and I couldn't bend it after a few hours. Got it checked out and it was my MCL that blew...didn't need surgery but took about 3 months to heal and get back to doing stuff/riding. Good luck

Ahhh. so lucky lol. I wish able to have a cool name drop to use in the description of my injury ;-). Well I made up my mind...I have an apointment today @ 12:30. Guess Ill go ahead and have it fixed. Gees, Im gonna be broke forever! DOnt you hate it when something stupid happens and you have to pay all kinds of $$ just to get it back to "normal" lol. Hey thanks to all for your input....ill let you guys know how it turns out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So i guess you have no health insurance? Story of my life. I just had to go through something similar but with my foot.. I skipped the mri and took the advice of the first doctor I saw, to let it heal in a cast then try to go on. Well 4 months after the break, saw another doctor who said it wasnt healing and I needed surgery. I ended up having to dish out a bunch of cash to get the hospital to even admit me. But I was able to get medicaid to cover the rest of the bills. Hopefully you dont need surgery but if you have 2000 or more in bills you can get some covered by your state, most likely.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Special~K said:
Ahhh. so lucky lol. I wish able to have a cool name drop to use in the description of my injury ;-). Well I made up my mind...I have an apointment today @ 12:30. Guess Ill go ahead and have it fixed. Gees, Im gonna be broke forever! DOnt you hate it when something stupid happens and you have to pay all kinds of $$ just to get it back to "normal" lol. Hey thanks to all for your input....ill let you guys know how it turns out.

good luck man, let us know what the doc says

·
Registered
183 Posts
Oh man knee surgery w/ no health ins. will be a big bill to pay.

Make sure you get braces for when you ride again. My insurance payed for all of one and half the other (540$) since I got both fixed, if you don't expect another trip to the e.r

Good luck man.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
racerzc said:
Oh man knee surgery w/ no health ins. will be a big bill to pay.

Make sure you get braces for when you ride again. My insurance payed for all of one and half the other (540$) since I got both fixed, if you don't expect another trip to the e.r

Good luck man.

Man Im actually at the doctors right now, keeping my fingers crossed. I hope he says Im a big wimp and everythings ok lol. But i felt it pop....i know somethings wrong. Man that would be sweet if they could perscribe knee braces! always wanted some. That may be the only good thing to come of this. How did you pull that off?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I go for surgery tomorrow, ACL reconstruction and Meniscus repair - I basically tweaked it messing around in the yard a few weeks ago. What braces do you guys recommend, I can get discounts through sixsixone but I'm not sure how good they are. I did my other knee about 5 years ago wakeboarding and that one hurt like hell, this time it didn't really even hurt but kept sliding out of place so I knew something was wrong.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
midwest_militia said:
I go for surgery tomorrow, ACL reconstruction and Meniscus repair - I basically tweaked it messing around in the yard a few weeks ago. What braces do you guys recommend, I can get discounts through sixsixone but I'm not sure how good they are. I did my other knee about 5 years ago wakeboarding and that one hurt like hell, this time it didn't really even hurt but kept sliding out of place so I knew something was wrong.

My god man Ill say a prayer for you. Im waiting on the MRI results now, but the doc says i have a lot of blood (not fluid) in my knee and that isnt good. Hes thinking ill have to get the same, torn part of miniscus removed, and possible acl reconstruction. He sat on my foot and pull on my lower leg and i felt my knee wobble like loose steering stem bearings :( Ive decided since Im having surgery anyway I might as well race this weekend. Ill just take it somewhat easy and keep my feet on the pegs lol. Boy i sure hope i can get him to hook it up with knee braces, that would be perfect for minis. No more velcro crap that ends up in my shoes....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
After going under the knife myself for similar injury the on thing I will tell you is to make sure to do your physical therapy no matter what...it will make a huge difference in recovery of strength and movement.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello Special~K;

3RD Left Knee injury...3RD Left Knee surgery... While working for public schools...every 5 yrs. apart, I was blowing out my left knee !

The last time (June 2005), The school district "retired" me ! I choose State Voc. Rehab. ! They sent me back to college (50 yr. old "returning" college student) ! Working on my Masters...

Doing 'sit-down' part-time work (building "Table-Top" Drones) ! ! ! A GREAT part-time job! I have great pain when I walk or stand more than 3 -5 hrs. at a time ! Physical Therapy REALLY helped a lot...I try to keep-up on some of the stuff that they showed me !

Pulled-on neoprene (wet-suit), type knee brace helps the best (so does vicodin...) !

Cheers, Donald_50

1 - 20 of 25 Posts