PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the story..... I bought a KLX125 for my son, and this bike had a "history" I got with it a box of parts, mostly a wiped out head. What I found out was that the original engine dropped a valve, and well, you know the rest. One of the previous owners, replaced the entire top end from another parts bike, but could not get it running. That's where I come into the picture.

The first thing I found is that one of the valve adjusters was hitting the cap.... further inspection was that the rockers are wiped out, and when they were adjusted to compensate for the wear, the adjustment bolt was hitting the cap..... that's the easy part......

Now the part that puzzles me.... aparently, the top end was replaced from a 100cc bike, because the cylinder is stamped 98cc. I have no idea what this top end came from, and if it even will work.

So, here are a couple of questions for people that "are in the know"...

Will the 100cc top end even work at all?

What did this top end come from? (hint it is painted black)

If I find a 125cc cylinder, can I still use this head?

Can I bore this cylinder to be a 125 again, and could I also use the 4mm overbore piston and bore it even larger?

This will be a first bike for an 8 year old, so I'm not too concerned *yet* that this is only a 100cc bike, but later I'd like to do the engine mods like the 4mm overbore, the 28mm carb and the LT230 cam.

Santa comes in 8 days....

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
96 Posts
sounds like you have a cylinder off a older dr 100. I dont know bore and stroke of that machine,but if the piston is coming to the top of the cylinder then it sounds like they share the same stroke and rod length but a different bore and compression height on the piston. I have some spare klx 125 stuff (cyl,piston,pin,rings,head,cam and cover in excellent shape.pm if interested hope this helps

1 - 2 of 2 Posts