PlanetMinis Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2003 KLX 110 and just installed a TB 143 big bore kit in it with the TB V2 Race head, and TB race cam.

When I go to set the timing, and have the Timing chain tensioner taught, it will bring the cam sprocket either about a half tooth off of the center mark on the head. I’ve tried cheating the sprocket both ways. It will either be a half tooth above or below the mark, no in between. See the pictures labeled numbers 1 and 2, you’ll get the idea.

The chain is seated correctly on the crank sprocket. And I’ve verified that the piston is truly at TDC with a small screwdriver poking through the spark plug hole.

I used new gaskets between the cylinder, and crank shaft, and the cylinder and the cylinder head. So I assume that spacing should be right.

I installed the cam in the cylinder head with the lobes pointing down (facing the crankshaft)

The tension on the timing chain is taught.

I rotated the crank clockwise twice as it states in the service manual and it still comes out as this.

I’ve seen a couple people had issues with this on some forums, but that was back in like ‘04 and they never posted a remedy, so I have no idea what they ended up finding.

Any help would be appreciated View attachment 271249 View attachment 271250 View attachment 271251 View attachment 271252

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure if you got this fixed, when I put 143 kit in my 03 ( no race Head) I had same problem, turned out to be the cam chain was stretched , bought a new chain and it fixed it .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Not sure if you got this fixed, when I put 143 kit in my 03 ( no race Head) I had same problem, turned out to be the cam chain was stretched , bought a new chain and it fixed it .
I haven’t got it started just yet, I’m waiting to see how it runs, to be honest I’m just being a lazy d***head and not wanting to change the chain lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
SO update everyone...

I did get the bike running for about 15ish minutes with the setup #1 pictured above.

I ended up getting it started with the help of some starter fluid.

turns out I never Installed the clutch adjusting pieces.When I shifted into first, I did a wheelie, and actually shifting into second and back to first and neutral where definitely a task. So I ordered and installed a manual clutch kit, because it was only $50 more than buying the parts needed for the clutch adjustment pieces, and honesty seemed easier to install.

however, the first day when I had the bike running for that 15ish minutes after I shut it down, I couldn’t for the life of me get it started back up again. And now when I kick it over it would back fire.

since then I’ve taken A lot of things apart. I replaced the cam chain and that seemed to help the timing misalignment by a nose hair.

I took the carb apart, and now it just immediately floods, and dumps gas out the overflow and vent.

so in the morning I’m going to try and mess with the float tang in the carb to keep it from flooding and I’m thinking that will get it running. I’m just not sure why it would be backfiring all of a sudden. The gaskets are greased and everything is tight on the intake. And the crush seal is in place on the exhaust header and those nuts are tight, so I’m thinking that will rule out there being any lean condition from an intake or exhaust leak.

·
Registered
18 Posts
SO update everyone...

I did get the bike running for about 15ish minutes with the setup #1 pictured above.

I ended up getting it started with the help of some starter fluid.

turns out I never Installed the clutch adjusting pieces.When I shifted into first, I did a wheelie, and actually shifting into second and back to first and neutral where definitely a task. So I ordered and installed a manual clutch kit, because it was only $50 more than buying the parts needed for the clutch adjustment pieces, and honesty seemed easier to install.

however, the first day when I had the bike running for that 15ish minutes after I shut it down, I couldn’t for the life of me get it started back up again. And now when I kick it over it would back fire.

since then I’ve taken A lot of things apart. I replaced the cam chain and that seemed to help the timing misalignment by a nose hair.

I took the carb apart, and now it just immediately floods, and dumps gas out the overflow and vent.

so in the morning I’m going to try and mess with the float tang in the carb to keep it from flooding and I’m thinking that will get it running. I’m just not sure why it would be backfiring all of a sudden. The gaskets are greased and everything is tight on the intake. And the crush seal is in place on the exhaust header and those nuts are tight, so I’m thinking that will rule out there being any lean condition from an intake or exhaust leak.
I also had problems getting my 2003 started after installing a 143cc big bore, a 155mm crank, a Vm 26mm carb, 4 speed shift drum, a TBolt clutch kit, I extended the rear swing arm 3in, added a new set of 730mm front forks, a 17inX1.6 front wheel, and a 14inX1.8 rear wheel. I started off playing with the timing and it didn't fix anything so I re jetted my carburetor with a 17.5 pilot jet and that got it started but not for long so I put a 122 main jet in and adjusted the air mixture screw then it ran for a bit longer ( about 5 minutes or less). I got to the point after adjusting the mixture, the needle, and idle screws where I just let it sit and run. After doing that about 3 or 4 times it would stay running for a while so I took it out for a test run and she did GREAT!! It threw me off the bike as soon as I (lightly) tapped the gas. What I mean by it throwing me from the bike is that it came up so fast it shot me off. I did land on my feet but it jammed my left knee and my right hip. My bike is a lot bigger and heavier now then it was stock and it still has amazing power. I hope you get it tuned and running right and be careful. after the upgrades it will be a different beast. :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I also had problems getting my 2003 started after installing a 143cc big bore, a 155mm crank, a Vm 26mm carb, 4 speed shift drum, a TBolt clutch kit, I extended the rear swing arm 3in, added a new set of 730mm front forks, a 17inX1.6 front wheel, and a 14inX1.8 rear wheel. I started off playing with the timing and it didn't fix anything so I re jetted my carburetor with a 17.5 pilot jet and that got it started but not for long so I put a 122 main jet in and adjusted the air mixture screw then it ran for a bit longer ( about 5 minutes or less). I got to the point after adjusting the mixture, the needle, and idle screws where I just let it sit and run. After doing that about 3 or 4 times it would stay running for a while so I took it out for a test run and she did GREAT!! It threw me off the bike as soon as I (lightly) tapped the gas. What I mean by it throwing me from the bike is that it came up so fast it shot me off. I did land on my feet but it jammed my left knee and my right hip. My bike is a lot bigger and heavier now then it was stock and it still has amazing power. I hope you get it tuned and running right and be careful. after the upgrades it will be a different beast. :cool:
hopefully I’ll be in your shoes today (minus getting thrown off the bike lol)

122 main? That seems a little lean (obviously it’s running now so it’s not) ive just read a bunch of different places people have been running 170-180 for a main jet.

not sure why I’m even Talking about a main jet right now, that won’t help me get started any lol.

the thing that gets me, is the fact that it did indeed start before! I’m just not sure what I’m doing wrong.

every time it wants to start it gives me a little backfire coming out of the carb, hopefully I’ll get this hammered down today.

Even with starting fluid it’s not turning over either. Which I’m surprised at, I figured with enough of that, it would start right up

·
Registered
18 Posts
hopefully I’ll be in your shoes today (minus getting thrown off the bike lol)

122 main? That seems a little lean (obviously it’s running now so it’s not) ive just read a bunch of different places people have been running 170-180 for a main jet.

not sure why I’m even Talking about a main jet right now, that won’t help me get started any lol.

the thing that gets me, is the fact that it did indeed start before! I’m just not sure what I’m doing wrong.

every time it wants to start it gives me a little backfire coming out of the carb, hopefully I’ll get this hammered down today.

Even with starting fluid it’s not turning over either. Which I’m surprised at, I figured with enough of that, it would start right up
I'm still running a stock head and exhaust. I did read that in a lot of forms as well but they all had bigger exhaust and or performance V2 heads. as the weather changes and my engine starts to break in it is slowly running leaner. The 122 main jet is the biggest jet I had on hand. lol.. I will be ordering more in the near future with an exhaust to go with it.

PS. Getting thrown off sucked. lmao..

21 - 27 of 27 Posts