PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 KLX 110 and just installed a TB 143 big bore kit in it with the TB V2 Race head, and TB race cam.

When I go to set the timing, and have the Timing chain tensioner taught, it will bring the cam sprocket either about a half tooth off of the center mark on the head. I’ve tried cheating the sprocket both ways. It will either be a half tooth above or below the mark, no in between. See the pictures labeled numbers 1 and 2, you’ll get the idea.

The chain is seated correctly on the crank sprocket. And I’ve verified that the piston is truly at TDC with a small screwdriver poking through the spark plug hole.

I used new gaskets between the cylinder, and crank shaft, and the cylinder and the cylinder head. So I assume that spacing should be right.

I installed the cam in the cylinder head with the lobes pointing down (facing the crankshaft)

The tension on the timing chain is taught.

I rotated the crank clockwise twice as it states in the service manual and it still comes out as this.

I’ve seen a couple people had issues with this on some forums, but that was back in like ‘04 and they never posted a remedy, so I have no idea what they ended up finding.

Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did you happen to take any photos of the timing marks before you removed everything? I would try pulling the tensioner out and seeing how #1 and #2 line up without the tensioner. Dont beat yourself up over it either, i think on every single thing i have every done timing wise (cars, sportbikes, dirtbikes) they always never line up perfectly without trying a few different methods. Im sure someone who is familiar with klx motors will chime in with the correct orientation.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you happen to take any photos of the timing marks before you removed everything? I would try pulling the tensioner out and seeing how #1 and #2 line up without the tensioner. Dont beat yourself up over it either, i think on every single thing i have every done timing wise (cars, sportbikes, dirtbikes) they always never line up perfectly without trying a few different methods. Im sure someone who is familiar with klx motors will chime in with the correct orientation.
Unfortunately I didn’t take it apart. I bought somebody else’s project lol, so I’m not sure how it looked.

However, when you relieve the tension on the timing tensioner it will line up perfectly.

But when you tighten it up it pulls it just out of alignment.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Unfortunately I didn’t take it apart. I bought somebody else’s project lol, so I’m not sure how it looked.

However, when you relieve the tension on the timing tensioner it will line up perfectly.

But when you tighten it up it pulls it just out of alignment.
I would imagine thats with the #1 setup? Since you already rolled it over and dont have piston to valve clearance issues i would throw it together and start it up. If its a pain in the ass to start and has a high idle than its most likely too advanced in timing and might have to try the other timing. Also im sure you will be running a new carb setup so it might be hard to diagnose both. I would go with a known good carb and jets for that build so you at least can weed out idle issues due to wrong carb tuning.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would imagine thats with the #1 setup? Since you already rolled it over and dont have piston to valve clearance issues i would throw it together and start it up. If its a pain in the ass to start and has a high idle than its most likely too advanced in timing and might have to try the other timing. Also im sure you will be running a new carb setup so it might be hard to diagnose both. I would go with a known good carb and jets for that build so you at least can weed out idle issues due to wrong carb tuning.
-Correct, by lining up the cam sprocket and flywheel with no timing chain tension, and THEN applying tension, it will come out as picture number 1.

-What setup has the cam timing advanced vs retard? (Example: pic #1 is advanced or vice versa)

-This is the part that I’m dreading. It came with multiple carbs, one being the stock, one being the Mikuni 26mm. I’m not sure which one it ran off of prior, or even how well it ran. And I added the race head and cam also. So I’m going to have a bitch or a time figuring this out.

-With the timing a little advanced, won’t I see better Power through the higher RPM ranges? and with the timing a little retard, won’t I see better power through the lower rpm ranges? Or am I making this up entirely?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Definitely go with the vm26. That build is solid so its going to need a lot of fuel and air. Good thing is you have the best/most common motor so there is tons of info for jets and tuning with a vm26. #1 is the more advanced ignition timing and will run better at all engine rpms in most applications, but comes at a cost of higher operating temps and possible detonation of fuel/air before the spark plugs ignites it (that is if its wrong) i pretty sure you have it setup right. For example i had this exact problem with a buddys crf250 and when we got it to start it had high idle and in less than a minute the header was glowing red, moved them back a tooth and it was back to normal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I was thinking of going with the VM26, and I believe I have a ball park of what jet set up I need to start with.

ah I get ya, as of now I have it set up as pic #2 (not sure if I mentioned that earlier)

I appreciate all the info though, it’s a huge help!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not a problem mate. If i was not clear in any of the previous posts i think your correct setup is option 1. Update us on here with any progress so others with the same problem can see a solution plus i am curious myself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
you should buy the cam gear made for the V2 head. The deck high may be lower then the stock head giving your engine a higher compression ratio and therefor moving the cam closer witch would cause your problem in pic#1. If that's the case then your timing is spot on in your first pick. I have a 2003 DR-Z 110 with a 4speed shift drum, 55mm crank, 143cc big bore kit and a stock hear assembly with the TB cam gear. It's a beast. lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hahah is it? I haven’t talk to anybody with a similar set up to mine (I don’t have the 55mm crank) what are you running for an exhaust? I kept the stock on mine as to not piss the neighbors off. Also, what size sprockets are you running?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hahah is it? I haven’t talk to anybody with a similar set up to mine (I don’t have the 55mm crank) what are you running for an exhaust? I kept the stock on mine as to not piss the neighbors off. Also, what size sprockets are you running?
I have my stock exhaust and I used a de-burring tool to port the header pipe from 1/2" to about 3/4+ and drilled 3, 1/2" holes on the inside of the muffler to help with exhaust flow. It's a bit loader but not to bad. I am running a 15/37 sprocket set with a 17" 1.6 front wheel and a 14" 1.85 rear wheel, a VM26mm carb with a 122 main and a 17.5 pilot jet, stock intake tube and I extended the rear swing arm 3" and now I need a stiffer rear shock, performance clutch kit and a oil cooler to complete my build. I built my engine last month and after adding the big bore kit and the 55mm crank my clutch slips bad. lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I read something recently about the stock exhaust mod, I’m definitely going to do the same as you did!

thanks for the carb jet info too, I just bought the jet kit and rebuild kit and it’ll be coming next week. and I haven’t seen anything online with a set up similar to ours with a stock exhaust, so that helps out astoundinly well lol.

Why extend the swing arm though? What are the added benefits for that?
Did you just have to buy a completely different swing arm for that? Or did you do a little fabrication yourself?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I read something recently about the stock exhaust mod, I’m definitely going to do the same as you did!

thanks for the carb jet info too, I just bought the jet kit and rebuild kit and it’ll be coming next week. and I haven’t seen anything online with a set up similar to ours with a stock exhaust, so that helps out astoundinly well lol.

Did you just have to buy a completely different swing arm for that? Or did you do a little fabrication yourself?

I did the fabrications myself and I did it so it wouldn't throw me off the bike so quickly. I still have to sit up near the tank to keep the front end on the ground when I take off. I'm just worried about how it will hook up with a new clutch kit. I'm 175 lbs and that bike has all the power I need. lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mtg
I did the fabrications myself and I did it so it wouldn't throw me off the bike so quickly. I still have to sit up near the tank to keep the front end on the ground when I take off. I'm just worried about how it will hook up with a new clutch kit. I'm 175 lbs and that bike has all the power I need. lol
Thats awesome dude! If you can send some pictures my way on how you did it, that gives me a good frame of reference because I’m also 175lbs lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No sh!t! That came out pretty good! I like how that came out! Also what kind of front forks do you have? Do you really notice a big difference in handling with it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
No shit! That came out pretty good! I like how that came out! Also what kind of front forks do you have? Do you really notice a big difference in handling with it?
My front forks came from ebay and I added 15W oil to the front forks to make them stiffer. They are kind of weak and bottomed out on me riding it around my back yard. It dose sit a good bit higher which works out well. I can lean farther into corners and It is easier for me to handle. Like when I put my foot out as I go into a turn I feel like I have more control over the bike rather then it sitting so close to the ground and I had to put my foot way out in front of me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts