PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For use with manual clutch. Use this mod to bumpstart your klx/drz 110 while it is in gear!

Note, i have the ignition cover off the engine in these pictures. there is no need to remove the ignition cover

Tools Needed:

8 mm T-handle

electric tape

electric fitting (sitting atop tape)

#2 phillips screwdriver

#3 phillips screwdriver

wire cutters

Procedure

Use 8mm T-handle to take off chain guide, 3 screws

Find the black wrapped set of two wires coming from the Bump Start Unit, and unhook the connector in the Black Boot

Now unscrew the top and bottom screws from the Bump Start Unit

Pro Tip: unscrew the bottom screw first. if done with chain on, roll the bike so chain moves and screw can back all the way out

Pro Tip: press firmly on the Bump Start Unit while unscrewing the top (second) screw. these stock units tend to get brittle with time and the top tab will break off if you do not press firmly on the unit until the screw is out

note, here i am using an allen wrench. your bike may have phillips head screws here if stock

Remove the Bump Start Unit

Now wipe the passage free of dirt and other loose material. Remove Oring, inspect, replace if necessary, then put Oring back into passage

Working with the Stock Bump Start Unit

here is the Bump Start Unit, uninstalled

Now cut the black wrapped wires, like shown, at the Bump Start Unit. Cut as close as you can to the Unit.

After cutting, safely cut away the black wrap, making sure to not damage the 2 wires inside.

Then strip the sheath off of the light green wire

Now take the exposed wire from the light green wire and put it through the Electric Fitting, and wrap excess around end

Pro Tip: I bend this fitting now, for ease of later use. look ahead at how the fitting is screwed onto the cases, and see if this is something you wish to do. If you wish to do it, i would suggest bending it before insertion of the wire

Now place Fitting with wire though, into a vice and shut the hole so the wire is secured into the fitting.

mine looks like this afterward

Now Wrap this end of the wire in electric tape, using enough so it seems somewhat water tight. I use the tape more as protection from pulling the wire out of the fitting.

Now screw the Bump Start Unit back onto the case. Be sure to follow the instructions for pressing firmly on the unit while putting screws in

Note, The unit should now have no wires coming from it

Now attach the connector back into the Black Boot

Now use the #3 phillips to remove the screw on the ignition cover closest to the Black Boot. my screw is an allen head screw, yours will be a pillips head if stock.

Now, the finished product!!

Now put the chain guide back on using the 8mm T-handle

Pro Tip: This is the Igniton Cover, off the bike in my case. This is how the fitting attaches to the case. If you like, you can bend the fitting to go toward the frame for a more sleek fit.

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Test of tutorial on how to make free bumpstart

i submitted this to the Tutorial forum. what do you all think of it?

i needed to post it in full because i was 15 pic limited by the first post when submitting it to the forum

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Test of tutorial on how to make free bumpstart

BORN2RIDE#56 said:
Makes me wanna go buy a bumpstart...

this took me 10 minutes the first time i did it. there are just lots of pics

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
thats not really what i did. mines simple as crap. just unplug it, and get a piece of wire, put the ends on it, plug that in and ground it. ill try to get a pic, but youve got two aof the stock wires modded, mine is just one wire and the stock ones arent messed with so if i wanna go back, just take off the ground wire that i made, and plug it back in. yours, youd have to splice the stockers back together..

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
507 brett said:
thats not really what i did. mines simple as crap. just unplug it, and get a piece of wire, put the ends on it, plug that in and ground it. ill try to get a pic, but youve got two aof the stock wires modded, mine is just one wire and the stock ones arent messed with so if i wanna go back, just take off the ground wire that i made, and plug it back in. yours, youd have to splice the stockers back together..

i broke my first unit, so i used the connector and wires from it. i have a fully stock unit bolted on there, i just covered the black wrapped wires with my fingers so it looks like i cut them

WESTWORKS RACING 948 said:
Pretty ghetto man..buy wirecuters with crimpers on them and shrinktubing with the 20 bucks you saved:}anyway,I thought you only grounded one wire?

per the instructions, i only grounded the light green wire. the dark green gets pushed up under the frame

1 - 20 of 34 Posts