PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just picked up my first klx and plan on doing some more work. it currently has the tb 143, race head,and vm 26mm carb.i already need a bit more power as im 230 lbs. i plan on doing the tb 165,v2 and 28mm carb.6 disc clutch,forged shift star. im going to split the cases to do the 4th gear. my question is will the 08 output shaft be enuff or do i need a bbr or chp output? thinking about the stroker crank too but i want somethin that will be reliable and start easy too. dont know too much about the stroker crank or if its worth the trouble? i dont want the motor to rev like it has a 30lb piston in it.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
1st thing I will tell you is,buy a used bike check the drain plug to make sure it's tight

·
Registered
831 Posts
i wouldn't use the 08 output shaft. if you want to be sure nothing will happen use the bbr/chp shafts. and definitely get the stroker crank. it's not going to rev like it has a 30lb piston. my friend has one in his 165 and it hauls ace!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool thats what i were thinking.ill go with the bbr shaft. what about oil coolers, i have one for it but i see alot of people saying you dont need it, i run the bike pretty hard in the long trails and open fields. i dont know about the kit i got, it uses the line from the head to go to the cooler then back to the head. will that starve the head from getting oil?

·
Registered
96 Posts
stroker crank for sure and maverick components oil cooler is prob best if you are going to use one.if you weigh 230 build it as big as you can. been runnin 190 for almost 4 years now. very reliable.

·
Registered
217 Posts
raceshop said:
has anybody ever seen a 08 output shaft break? mod or stock? and whats up with that 28mm pwk pax?

i was kind-of wondering the same thing. i have an 08, and everywhere i read says that they are much better than the pre-08 shafts. are their quality comparable to that of a bbr or chp output shaft??

·
Registered
210 Posts
Personally i spent the extra 100 bucks and went bbr on my output shaft! Im not gonna bother trying to save a hundred bucks when it might end up making me take my new motor all apart to spend the extra money later!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The '08 out put shafts are fine. They don't have the oiling hole so they are much stronger than the earlier ones. The BBR shaft does come with a stronger 1st gear though so there is still reason to upgrade even on an '08.

On the 165. Pax is right. No boring required. However the piston will come out of the bottom of the cylinder a little bit. Now if we are talking about a Moto HP 165 skirted cylinder you would need to bore the cases.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.