PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished putting together my first 143 kit with 4th gear drum and all the TB goodies. I bought this bike on craigslist not running, after assembly I started the bike and went to go for an easy ride around the inside of my shop. I noticed that the bike will upshift just fine but each and every down shift it makes a really loud grinding sound. It hesitates to down shift but if you push the shifter down once or twice and ignore the grinding it will down shift. After a few attempts to figure it out I am stumped.

From my research it sounds like bent shifter shafts? Is that what the two gear sets ride on? (they look to be on national backorder) Could it be anything else?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Would hate to tear the cases apart again. If its in the gears I think I'm going to bring it to a shop. Anyone have any ideas what it might be? I'm out of time with this project.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Auto part Automotive lighting Rim Wheel Disc brake
Auto part Disc brake Machine tool Machine Rotor

Found the issue now just need to learn what I'm looking at, what's missing and how to fix it. Apparently when I put the cases back together from the big bore kit & 4th gear drum, I must have forgotten how this part went back.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Look at the end of shift shaft in second pic. See the line? There is also a line on the piece that slides on it. Those lines need to line up. That will move that piece farther away from clutch basket and it won't run any more when shifting

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the lines lined up. Now the piece off the clutch barely makes contact with the lever on the shifter shaft. When you shift it flops right off. I'm sure that may change a little when the side cover is back on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.