PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just picked up a used 2005 110 that's all done up. It's got a manual clutch with a 4-speed (all up) kit. It rips like a beast but I have two problems. First off the clutch lever pull is VERY strong. Like 3X what my MT-10 street bike clutch pull is. I'm assuming I can get some lighter springs to take care of that.

The second issue is it doesn't like to downshift. It'll upshift flawlessly but when I try to downshift I have to hit the lever sometimes 5-6 or more times before it'll actually downshift and sometimes come to a near complete stop to get it to downshift. Can anyone give me any ideas of where to look to get this fixed?

I'm not racing this thing at all, I just bought it so I could ride around in the woods with my kids on their ATV's. I had a 2005 about 15 years ago, had the 143 kit, cam TBR pipe, pegs, springs etc.

This bike has the 143 kit, TBR pipe, race head, cam, pegs, bars, fork springs, aftermarket shock and the aforementioned manual clutch and 4-speed kit. I'm getting a taller seat ASAP as it's got the stock one on it and after ripping on it for an hour I'm sore as hell lol. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
141 Posts
It sounds like it has HD clutch springs so all you need to do is remove 2 of the 6 springs inside the clutch or replace them with 6 stock springs. There's also an adjustable clutch lever that you could perches with a 3-position setup to reduce the amount of force needed to apply the clutch. I have a 2003 DR-Z 110 with a 155 stroker engine running a stock clutch with 6 stock springs and it performs perfectly. Another option is to order a stock spring replacement kit with 4 springs and remove 4 of the HD springs (2 top and 2 bottom) Not recommended due to uneven pressure to the clutch plate. I would recommend the 3-position clutch leaver and if it's no longer available then buy 2 packs of the stock replacement springs. TBoltUSA.com should have everything you need. Good luck and happy riding.

· Registered
141 Posts
You might need to pull off the clutch cover and inspect it for cracks where the shift lever installs. If it is cracked, then your lever is most likely binding up inside the case making it hard to shift. This could happen if the bike was laid over and impacting the shifter lever from the left side of the bike.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sounds like it has HD clutch springs so all you need to do is remove 2 of the 6 springs inside the clutch or replace them with 6 stock springs. There's also an adjustable clutch lever that you could perches with a 3-position setup to reduce the amount of force needed to apply the clutch. I have a 2003 DR-Z 110 with a 155 stroker engine running a stock clutch with 6 stock springs and it performs perfectly. Another option is to order a stock spring replacement kit with 4 springs and remove 4 of the HD springs (2 top and 2 bottom) Not recommended due to uneven pressure to the clutch plate. I would recommend the 3-position clutch leaver and if it's no longer available then buy 2 packs of the stock replacement springs. TBoltUSA.com should have everything you need. Good luck and happy riding.
Thanks for the info. I'll look at getting some stock springs.

You might need to pull off the clutch cover and inspect it for cracks where the shift lever installs. If it is cracked, then your lever is most likely binding up inside the case making it hard to shift. This could happen if the bike was laid over and impacting the shifter lever from the left side of the bike.
I can do that, that's easy enough. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

1 - 4 of 4 Posts