PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I wanted to share my build / journey from stock OG 2002 KLX 110 to a Stock full mod.

Bike was bought end of July in 100% stock condition and the seller was not sure about the year model (Suspecting 2009 model), but I wanted it as it was the only one for sale here in Finland and it started first kick and ran nicely. Brought the bike home in my Mini Clubman, yes that car fits so many things!

First pictures:

Note the green frame! Friend was saying that this might be older model as the green frame is rather rare and might be early models. I took a look at the VIN and based on VIN calculators on the internet it was showing 2010 model. But it still had the old style plastics. So thought it was a 2010 but early model, so pre facelift and based my part purchases on that...

Btw, came with the manual!

First parts were bought the next day;

XR50 style handlebar, green tubes, rear brake pads, shifter, front brake leaver, gas cap and longer bolts for the peg mount.

So I knew that first thing is to get the handlebar and rest parts happen to be in stock in near store. The shifter is foldable and was for KX125 or something, happened to have same hole size and rifling.

Bike was now drivable:

Noticed that the exhaust was leaking, also went and bought a spray paint for the heat shields, but bought the wrong Kawasaki green (noticed too late)

This was the 1st part. More in the next post!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Part 2

Alright, now I was able to bring the bike to countryside where we had old track and big garage to work on the bikes. Also my 3 buddies were looking / buying 110s, as there were none KLX 110 for sale, they all got CRF110 2014 - 2017 models.

Next parts / upgrades;

RedBaron HD front springs with 18W oil, opening up the exhaust header, opening airbox, jetting the carb, HD clutch springs, 420 chains, 14" front sprocket, 28" rear sprocket and RedBaron ignition cover with sprocket cover. Oh and got green fuel line, which was not big enough so ended using as carb leak tubes and electrics protection.

The exhaust with airbox mod and jetting made huge difference, here is 1st video

I also went back to black with the exhaust heat covers. I used special method called bluing. Came out pretty nice.

This is also the time we decided to go all out on the track and got an excavator with driver for 10h.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Part 3

This was big looks update!

New black plastics, decal kit, Diamond minis +2" damping rods, 1/4 throttle, Sikk 110 rear brake leaver, TwoBrothers tall seat.
I kept the original green front and rear plastics to not go all black.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Part 4

This was the biggest work as I took the whole bike a part. This was so I could sand blast and powder coat the parts and install the last goodie parts :p

Just for this I built myself a sandblasting cabinet and bought the powder coating equipment + oven. No regrets!

New parts;

Dnm rear shock 300lbs, Diamond minis foot beg mount, billet foot pegs, engine cradle, HD spokes front and rear, chain roller, chain guide, oil filter, short front brake lever, FMF Factory 4.1 and lastly BBR superstock rear swing from CRF 50.

Powder coated parts;

Front and rear rims with hubs, clutch cover, bbr rear swing and front fork tubes, shift lever, both brake assemblies, upper and lower clamps, kick starter.

Candy green with white under. (Better results with silver under.)

Black and green theme

This was painful and time consuming. I redid the spokes like 3 times until I got them right and not to mention making it straight was a process!

Test fitting the bbr swingarm from crf50. Its almost bolt on, needed to open up tiny bit from swingarm where it connects to the frame and you need to make a bracket to hold the rear brake. Also I had here the cradle and the swingarm was now sandblasted and ready for the powder coating. And yes, the frame is bolted on to the table!

Starting to put things back together.

But wanted to give some love to the engine too. You can do these 2 color powder coating tricks rather easy, by just brushing off the powder where you dont want the paint.

While the engine was exposed, gave it a buff.

Almost done! Just waiting for the tires at this point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
And she is DONE!

The bbr superstock from the crf50 is +2" for the crf 50 but for the klx 110 it is exactly same length as stock 110 swingarm. Reason for the upgrade was pure cosmetic and I happened to have one laying around.

I will be keeping the engine stock 110, so I can race the the stock class.

Final part list:

- Engine

13 front sprocket
38 rear sprocket
88 Main jet
Airbox mod
HD clutch springs
Fmf factory 4.1 exhaust
Engine cradle

- Suspension

+2 inch rods by Diamond minis
Red Baron HD front springs
Dnm 350lb rear spring
BBR superstock swingarm (CRF50 model)
18w fork oil

- Controls

Handlebar + pad
1/4 quick throttle
Extended front brake cable
TwoBrothers Racing tall seat
Sikk 110 rear brake lever
Foldable shifter
HD footpeg mount by Diamond minis
Billet footpegs
HD spokes rear and front
Short front brake lever

- Appearance

Black plastics with decal kit
RedBaron clutch cover and sprocket cover
Green half waffle tubes
Chain roller
Chain guide

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
And she is DONE!

View attachment 273884

The bbr superstock from the crf50 is +2" for the crf 50 but for the klx 110 it is exactly same length as stock 110 swingarm. Reason for the upgrade was pure cosmetic and I happened to have one laying around.

I will be keeping the engine stock 110, so I can race the the stock class.

Final part list:

- Engine

13 front sprocket
38 rear sprocket
88 Main jet
Airbox mod
HD clutch springs
Fmf factory 4.1 exhaust
Engine cradle

- Suspension

+2 inch rods by Diamond minis
Red Baron HD front springs