PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll give as much detail as possible. I bought the bike for my 3 year old son and he's incredibly stoked to ride it. It was an ebay buy with the seller saying it dies when you put it in gear. Thinking it was just a clutch adjustment issue I bought it.

Now, I've pulled the clutch apart, made sure the plates weren't stuck together etc. Everything is where it should be according to the parts microfiches (all 8 balls etc) and when it's running in neutral, the clutch appears to work fine. I've fiddled quite a bit and have adjusted the clutch so that it's just able to kick the bike over. Any less and you can't spin the engine at all. Any more and it's too tight and grabbing all of the time. With all of that said, I can't seem to figure out what the lever is doing on the outside of the clutch housing,and I'm thinking that's my issue. I replied to another thread today, in hopes the poster can explain what's going on with better instruction. (since I have low post number, I can't put links in my message unfortunately)

You can see the clutch push outward as engine rpm reach the necessary point, so It all appears to be working properly. So I'm thinking it's due to the shifter part that was ground out by the previous person, or something to do with the linkage from the fiche on CMSNL .com, Because they are called clutch release linkage parts. Mine don't seem to move at all no matter what gear or what rpm etc.

So, when in gear while rotating the rear wheel, the clutch basket spins and when in neutral, it doesn't. So everything appears to be working correctly. I am able to get the bike started in neutral, roll a few miles per hour and then she'll go without issue, until I try to stop, at which point it seems like the clutch is still grabbing (even though I can see that it's not pushing out like it does when you are higher up in the rpm)

I'll keep tinkering on it, but if anyone knows, I've searched around quite a bit and haven't come across that info in the service manual either. (please let me know if I'm an idiot and I missed it on a specific page...)

Thanks all! Pretty stoked to get my kids into riding.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After mucking with it quite a bit, I've come to find when I set the clutch properly, it works as it should, but it only works after I start the bike up and then back it off. It will then slip when in gear etc. So my problem is actually that the kick start will not engage unless the clutch is so tight that it doesn't let go when I put it into gear. Any less and it won't kick the engine over. Any thoughts on this one?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still back at it today for a little bit. Found this on another forum, Now, I'm quite certain my plates are in the correct order and appear as they do on the manual and other various you tube vids etc. I'll recheck to make sure it isn't something stupid like this....My main thought is that the arm isn't moving at all. So how is it going to engage the clutch for kicking it over, if it's not moving!! AHHHH!!! Still looking as to why that set of arms doesn't appear to do anything.

Clutch adjustment
Take the clutch cover off - note engine oil dripping onto your feet.
Loosen locknut. Run the centre screw in until it just pushes the plate (you will feel it)
You should see the mechanism try to move. Tighten locknut.
Too loose and it will not turn the engine over.
Too tight and the kick-starter will not return.

HINT, when you push the kick-start lever, you will see an arm rotate the clutch mechanism and push the clutch inward a few mm.
This is engaging the clutch to kick it over. If you do NOT see this occurring, you may have inadvertently put the outer release plate on the wrong way.
The nipples on the plate should fit into the areas on the inner plate, ie point INTO the engine, not out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found it!

This should be the second to the last post, with the next post being after I get the part in. I think I have found the culprit, and the reason why I have not seen the arm move at all!! I'm missing the bearing/pressed roller that is on the arm!!! The PO must have screwed that up, and sold it when they couldn't fix it (or knew it was bad)

Here's my part, and here's a picture I found on the net that shows the proper wheel in place. Now I can see how it would sit in the clearanced spot for the kicker, and when kicked, push on the plate to make it work properly in neutral!!! WOOHOO!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this post is old but could you order that part separately or did you have to get the whole case? I have the exact same problem

I’ve been searching for days about this issue and I’m just about at breaking point

1 - 7 of 7 Posts