PlanetMinis Forums banner

81 - 100 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #81

Here is a stock photo because I'm lazy-

You see, there this little bump at the top of the engine for the breather hose...well that bump happens to bump the frame. I don't really wanna shave down the bump on the engine, so....

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Anddddd it's in. One of my biggest take aways/mistakes is that I didn't try to mount the motor before painting. I just assumed it would fit. I had to cut and trim stuff, melted a little paint, exposed some raw metal. I'll figure out what to do before I'm done.

Here is a rough mock up. I can only mount the carb to the left or right facing in that direction, pointing back hits the frame and my mounting options are very limited with this motor with how it's designed. I'll design some sort of hanger mount for the oil cooler, this is most likely where it'll sit.

I'm going to kill myself on this thing.

·
Super Moderator
10,180 Posts
Do you think the ATC125M intake manifold will allow you to run a carb conventionally, Shane?

·
Super Moderator
10,180 Posts
I believe it is the 125 part, kirrbby, the 110 manifold uses two mounting bolts to the head that are the same length.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)
Man, feels good to be done with my bachelors! So much more time for activities!

Spent the day "polishing" the brake panels, hubs and sprocket. Pulled out the front suspension for the first time and greased up the grease points by hand, I'll have to look into getting the proper grease gun.

You'll also notice something a bit different. See, we all know the front suspension on these are basically two pogo sticks for toddlers. I thought about doing something similar to what I did with my Motocompo shock but there isn't a stiffer option to cut down. I didn't want to spend a ton of money on the KEPSPEED ones so I repurposed a steering damper I bought for the Baja that I just didn't care for. It almost bolted right up. I had to grind down the long flat mount where the axel bolt mounts a little so I could get the cotter pin in. Aside from that, it really just fit perfect.

I'm sure it'll take some adjustments to get right but ANYTHING will be better than just running on the stock suspension.

Anyone know the proper grease gun for the fittings? They don't seem to be your typical zerks.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)
Question for the group.

Since I'm now going to retain my 6V battery and wiring (my 6V regulator just arrived in the mail) this mean I cannot use the 12V headlight, blinkers, and tail light I purchased, can I?

Little more progress today. As you can all tell, I'm putting off wiring it while I work on everything else.

I'm learning a lot as I go through this. I might ride it next year and pull it apart again. There are a lot of little tabs I should have cut off and holes I should have filled to make it look cleaner.

OEM brake pedal looks like it's going to clear the foot peg situation, stoked about that.

Put it on the ground to see if my dampener works, it does but I have some clearance issues, so I have to address that to prevent future issues.

Loving the rear shocks, I have a monster truck wheels gap but luckily they are adjustable! So I'll get the bike leveled out here soon.

Oh and I totally forgot to respray the top of the gas tank...luckily I kept the bike about the same color!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Not sure which to run. I bought the blast pipe to act as a header for the Yosh. I'll have to fab a bracket up regardless of what I use. There is a very small window where the header clears the depressed brake pedal and doesn't hit the tire.

Started staring the wiring all side by side to figure out what I wanna do. I really want to use the 12V items I bought, I dont have much interest in reusing the OEM lighting but the 6V loom has all the wiring for the accessories and versus the 12V loom I got. I guess I'll figure it out tomorrow because I'm running out of other things to do.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
This will be my last post for the Z here, don't wanna cross streams like I did in my Baja / Motocompo thread.

Well, this was a nice surprise as well. Couldn't get it all in the photo.

This was not a nice surprise. Any idea if this is repairable? Missing half the gas cap lip. Would HATE to call this tank junk since it's in decent shape, just needs to be cleaned and sealed.

·
Super Moderator
10,180 Posts
A tank rusted along both sides with a good filler neck would make a good donor tank. The neck could be welded or brazed in place and refurbished for paint

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Snagged this CT70H motor with a stuck piston for $50. I guess worst case scenario this can go into the C70 when I give up trying to get the 170 to work.

It's in REALLY rough shape. It sat underwater for a while. Cam is rusted in, the cam chain was so rust I couldn't get the links to flex for about 10 minutes. The coils, points, etc look terrible and someone has tried to remove the stator plate because the screws are stripped out. I'm guessing they didn't know about the wonders of an impact screwdriver. The case screws are all tweaked. I just wanna use the damn bottom end.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Your work bench looks like mine has ever since getting my Z50
Once a week I spend an hour or so cleaning and putting tools back up. I do it for my own sanity. I have two projects going at the same time and sometimes get side tracked and start working on a Motocompo or something.

81 - 100 of 146 Posts