PlanetMinis Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Looks sweet man! Can’t beat having spare motors on the shelf. Not a bad problem to have.

On the motors, I think a 140+ would be a good idea. I have read that good 88/108 (with heads and carbs) can be as or faster then some clone 125s. I have a 125 manual sitting under my bench...which I actually forgot I had...that I should see how it goes. Like you, who has the time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Also, seat looks good. I mean, it’s only a slight improvement over the original. Haha.

Not sure it’s possible but it would be sweet to tie on that deep red somewhere else. Maybe the grips?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Also, seat looks good. I mean, it’s only a slight improvement over the original. Haha.

Not sure it’s possible but it would be sweet to tie on that deep red somewhere else. Maybe the grips?

My pictures aren't the best, it's more of a brown!

Maybe I can do these -

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
YES!!! If it’s brown, you will have way more options. Hell, it’s pretty easy to find actual leather grips. Cafe scene rocks them all the time. I think it will really look sharp with a little color tie in.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Maybe leather-look grips would be better. I mean, I’m sure they would work but it’s like a tennis racket wrap. Only as good as the person wrapping. If you can find a good match of rubber/leatherish grips, it could be a major win.

Then find a leather saddle back or backpack to match. Haha.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Maybe leather-look grips would be better. I mean, I’m sure they would work but it’s like a tennis racket wrap. Only as good as the person wrapping. If you can find a good match of rubber/leatherish grips, it could be a major win.

Then find a leather saddle back or backpack to match. Haha.

Could get a few large pieces of leather and try to wrap the side covers...no no, now I'm just getting too crazy. Before I know it, it's going to look like an Indian.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Could get a few large pieces of leather and try to wrap the side covers...no no, now I'm just getting too crazy. Before I know it, it's going to look like an Indian.
Do what 66Cooper said. Get a tennis racquet or golf grip. They usually have adhesive backing and are skived on the edges so they lay down real nice. I used to put them on when I worked at a sports store as a teenager. Pretty hard to mess up and a lot of selection on styles.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Looking for opinions- At what motor size should I really be looking to figure out disc brakes as well? I can toss no fade/slotted pads in the drum and extended brake arms but I feel like there comes a point I should consider disc for my safety.

·
Registered
32 Posts
its more of a speed thing than anything else. if you're trying to cruise @55mph or spirited riding, discs are the only way to go. if you're just doing normal riding on surface streets ~45mph a good set of brake shoes should do ya fine.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm hoping to be around the 40-55 mph range. I want to be able to cruise around 50 but climb to 55 if needed. My road dumps onto a 4 lane and people routinely do 45-50.

A lot of places are sold out of 140/160cc motors.. Maybe when I get back home in mid-Nov stocks will come back up.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
You can always putput around with a zs190 in it. The zongshen 190 is a 2V torque monster with a 5 speed.
(The tame version of the anima 190...)
Disadvantage, it is wide, heavy and a bit ugly but it fits.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I would love a 190 or even the Piranha 212 but damn are they expensive. Over $1,000 USD for the 212 and $800 for the 190 2V, I'm not sure I want to spend that kinda money. If I could get a deal on one, I absolutely would go for it. The reason I'm looking at 140/160 is just based off price points, even those are steep.

I guess it depends on my future plans for the bike. I'll put some real thought into it before I make an engine purchase.

Guess I could always sell one of my Motocompo's to fund this build if I go with a big boy motor.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
On this side of the pond the yx150-5 with the honda like topend is a fairly cheap popular option.
I do not know if there are yx resellers in the US.
(the pranha 140 is a rebranded yx 140. yx also has a 140 semi.)

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I almost had two 190's for $1000 but the seller ghosted me when I asked about shipping. Still really salty.

Can someone tell me all the ways these wont work on this bike? Amazon.com: TDPRO Front 70/100-17 Wheel Tire and Rim With 15mm Bearing & Brake Disc Rotor & Hydraulic Disc Brake Caliper Master Cylinder & Rim Axle & Fork Shocker and Triple Clamp Handlebar Riser Set for Dirt Pit: Automotive

I'm guessing the triples wont fit but I dont have my micrometer to get accurate measurements or even rough measurements.

If it does work... I might take the dive. I really want at least a front disc if I'm going with a 140 or higher.

In other news, I leave the 30th for a month and a half, so I might order some parts but there wont be much in the way of updates for a while.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts