PlanetMinis Forums banner
221 - 230 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Wow, amazing bike! I don't know if the vague artist comment was meant for me, but there is some artist dude that goes by davmo. I am not on FB, but on ig its davmomoto.
LOL, Davmo(moto) your welcome.
Yes you are an artist with these bikes but ThankTheory is still alive and kicking in contrary to this artist. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just read through your build...super great stuff! Sorry you had to let it go!

I have the exact same year and model (even the same color, just a tad more rust haha), so this has been extremely helpful to read through your thread, even if I don't plan to go as high performance as you were.

I did have one question for you: My bike is missing the fuel tank. I can tell by looking at the parts diagrams on Bike Bandit that the tank is different on the 1981 and older C70's than on the 1982 and newer bikes. Basically, both styles fit inside the frame under the seat. The older style looks like they mount in a strap, with a separate cover plate on top that the seat hinges on. The newer tank appears to integrate the tank and the cover plate as one single unit. The newer style seem pretty common on ebay, but the older style seem few and far between.

Do you know if the 1982 and newer tanks will fit in a 1980 bike? The part of the bike frame that houses the tank looks identical between the two...I just want to make sure that there's not something less obvious that would prevent the newer tank from fitting before I pull the trigger on one of the newer tanks...

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
Mr. Ed, welcome to Planet Minis! I hope you enjoyed the 11 pages of nonsense. If you got at least one bit of information from it, then the entire purpose and intent of doing this was met.

To answer your question - I do believe they will fit and this is why. The tank I decided to drop in from Japan with the electronic fuel gauge was a different style than the original tank. That's where I went all CUSTOM F A B and used a door hinge as a seat hinge :D . It will mount differently. I had to rivnut into the frame to hold it down since the mounting style was different.

Will it fit, yes, will it need some modification to stay in place, yes.

221 - 230 of 230 Posts