PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this 1980 C70 Passport two weeks before I left for Japan, it's basically been sitting in my trailer for 3 years while I built a Monkey Baja and 3 Motocompo's in Japan. My first bike was a CT70H and I also briefly had a '82 C70 but this will be my first full build on something other than a Z/XR/CRF 50.

It's ran when parked and I didn't even bother to start it until I went down to Harbor Freight and picked up an ultrasonic cleaner. Listen. If you don't have an ultrasonic cleaner, you're shorting yourself. $70, just go get one. The first thing I did was pull off the carb which looks like a replacement one, certainly isn't OEM. Stripped it down, tossed it in the USC for 480 seconds and it came out looking brand new. I didn't take photos because I didn't take photos.

The rear tube had the stem ripped clean off it, so that was my second order of business. Tire spoons (and the majority of my tools) are on a boat somewhere in the Pacific heading the US, so screw drivers had to work.

Yay, wasn't so bad.

Was trying to figure out what I needed to get it good to go. Noticed I didn't have an ignition and that the connect was e-taped into the loom. Unraveled it and...well, I guess this is common.

The connector for the stator was just as bad, they were crumbling in my hands. Luckily, the legend himself, Dr. ATV sells kits. I've been buying parts from this dude for 15+ years, what a gem.

So my plans..I'm going to do a mod bike. Chop the rear fender, swap out the bars, better front/rear suspension, swap out the motor for something bigger, figure out how to convert to 12V, throw some THICC tires, find a nice solo seat, repaint? and send it.

Follow me as I journey into a world of mistakes!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So my first concern is figuring out 6V to 12V. I'm most likely going to run the 108 I have. I found an old post and Faaatcaaaaaaat said to complete the conversion I would need the following -

12V Battery - Size seems right, little bit smaller than OEM which is fine.

12V Bulbs - I'm switching out to LED everything, so not worried about "bulbs". Think I'll need an LED flasher relay too.
12V Rectifier - think this'll do.

12V CDI Box - I have a BBR XR50 one I'll run.

12V Coil - 12V coil is a 12V coil (for this application).

If those who know would like to set me straight on the right path, that would be awesome. I think this is the direction I need to be going but I want to verify before I start blowing money on stuff that wont work/don't need.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Welcome home!!! I see you are sure using your new found space for some VERY good “activities”!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to be back. I miss the Japanese flag for my location under my username tho :(

Not a big fan of GA but I'll keep myself busy enough to not think about it.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Davmo,

I did see that but I'd rather just convert everything to get the look I want.

Also, small change of plans. Took the wife on a ride yesterday around the new neighborhood and I think she would kill me if I put a solo seat on, so I'm going to keep the double seat.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
...or you just have to buy her one!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...or you just have to buy her one!

A red one did pop up 2 hours away...and a mint '93 CT70 about an hour away. She's not big into riding tho. She has her XR50 that I'm looking to sell and get her a XR70. The 10" wheels are too sketchy for her, I think she'd be a little more stable on the 12". I thought about a 110 but I'm not sure how'd she'd do with a clutch.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Wait, a crf110 has to have a clutch, no??

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I guess I just assumed it would have one. Shows how much I pay attention to new stuff:)

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Parts are slowly rolling in. Leg shield, chain, sprockets, rear wheel spacers, ignition, and seat cover all showed up so far. I'm just waiting on my wife's household goods shipment which has two motors in it. In order to give this thing hopefully enough speed to keep up with local traffic, it's going to get the 108.

That shipment was supposed to show up the 17th of last month and yet here we are, still waiting. Getting real sick of sleeping on an air mattress that's for sure.

I also sold my wife's bike which was a stock '03 XR50 for $750 and picked her up a '98 XR70 for $245. Pretty happy about that scoop up. So I got parts coming in left and right for both the C70 and the XR70, I think she's sad nothing has her name on it, so I might start putting it on some parts :D

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
That’s great man! That’s an awesome deal on the 70! I think she’ll really like the bit more legroom offered on it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn't realize what it was like to be an adult until recently. Have a home, still in college, back with the wife, and started work again. I went from all the time in the world to a few hours after work to get whatever I can done. Anyways, enough real talk.

So, big shout out to me from 3 years ago. I bought a 108 (L), 88 (R), and V1 TB Head + 88 kit. I never opened up any of them and they were still in the boxes they shipped to me in. I can't remember if either of them had any issues. I was considering the 108 for the C70 but I'm think I need AT LEAST a 125. I'm leaning towards a 140E or 160E, I want to be able to drive it on the roads and be able to get up and move.

Redoing the seat wasn't too bad. It's not perfect but it's good enough for me.

Also got my leg shield, side covers, ignition, and new connectors in.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts