PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a vm 22 and the bike is popping real bad and then there is like nothing from half to full throttle... pretty sure its the main... or maybe floats? Im also at 9500ft
Where do you think I should be around?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I know when i was running the vm22 i had to go to a 17.5 pilot jet(15 stock)mess with the air/fuel screw(that's a pain)and the main was fine.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well I think my main should be good as its high at a 115 and my pilot is at a 15..
I have a 22.5 pilot I can try and also have a 87.5 main but i think thats wayy to lean for my altitude

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4 hours on the motor...but you were on the right track... I think its the exhaust seal or gasket I can feel air coming out

·
Registered
752 Posts
If the bike is popping on deceleration I would look for a bad exhaust gasket. If the bike is popping at wot check the valves. Check the head bolts, make sure they are tight. Also raise the main jet size a lot. Jets are cheap and that will eliminate a lot of questions.

·
Vendor
10,562 Posts
[h=1]Engine and Carb quick check list - TBolt USA Tech Database![/h]
Install Intake manifold to head and carb, oil gaskets and tighten bolts lightly at first then torque then down gradually in a cross pattern to provide a good seal and avoid air leaks

1)Throttle cable adjustment check:
c)Carb slide MUST hit bottom
b)Test it , You MUST hear the sound of the slide hitting the bottom of the carb
c)You must have free play or slack in the throttle cable
d)You must be able to turn the throttle a small amount WITHOUT moving the carb slide

2)Make sure the carb is 100% clean, free of debris and you can see light thru both main and pilot jets

3)Double check you valve tappet adjustment .003intake and .004exh.

4)Make sure your exhaust gasket is installed properly.

5)Make sure all electrical connections are tight and you have a solid ground from the engine to the frame.

6)Check for good fuel flow and fresh fuel.

7)See our jetting guide and do a plug read.
http://www.tboltusa.com/store/tech.php?pid=61

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well since there is no gasket im going to start there..how big are these? Can I get one or something from an auto parts? I mean I just need something to squish down right? Then on the throttle I have like no free play and its adjusted all the way in?? Its a trc billet throttle and cable

·
Vendor
10,562 Posts
Well since there is no gasket im going to start there..how big are these? Can I get one or something from an auto parts? I mean I just need something to squish down right? Then on the throttle I have like no free play and its adjusted all the way in?? Its a trc billet throttle and cable
you can make the gasket , sure , and i gave the throttle info ^^^^

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats something to keep in mind..although I just got a trc outer rotor kit so its all new and I made sure the ground was contacting metal.. how do I get free play in my throttle cable? All of the adjusters are adjusted in

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is there a chance the new ignition could be bad? This thing wont run good for the life of me.... im going to check the valves and timing tonight and spark plug gap... but if those arent off I dont know where to even look... I ve got ground ive got slack in my throttle... the slide hits the bottom.... i have a new exhaust seal (idont feel or hear air coming out anymore) new gas..clean carb... it seems like there is unburned gas coming from pipe and kinda backfires gas through carb?...

·
Registered
43 Posts
lahayeracing444 said:
Is there a chance the new ignition could be bad? This thing wont run good for the life of me.... im going to check the valves and timing tonight and spark plug gap... but if those arent off I dont know where to even look... I ve got ground ive got slack in my throttle... the slide hits the bottom.... i have a new exhaust seal (idont feel or hear air coming out anymore) new gas..clean carb... it seems like there is unburned gas coming from pipe and kinda backfires gas through carb?...
If its backfiring through the carb you need to check your valve timing. May be off a tooth.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys so much for all the help I didnt get around to it lastnight... I will be checking today and let you know how it goes... when I took it to the shop they were like wow this thing is acting all kinds of funny sounds like its ignition maybe valves haha(friends shop lol wasnt going to pay to get it worked on just needed a hint

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So the timing is right....but I cant find my feeler gauge gotta get a new one tomorrow so we will see.... the other problem I dont like is I see a ton of build up on everything like old oil debris how do I clean this up? Its all over
Timing and oil build up
ForumRunner_20130131_210521.png

Timing
ForumRunner_20130131_210601.png

Old stator plate with oil build up?
ForumRunner_20130131_210742.png

·
Registered
956 Posts
Motor is not old, looks like it got the wrong kind of oil put in it somehow, trying to think, gear oil or something in it that went bad, smell it and see what it smells like?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts