PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a question for you. I am running a kitaco 75cc kit, a ported and polished head, a touring cam, a 18mm carb and a fmf cheapo pipe. I bought the jet kit from classic honda and have tryed all of them from 78 to 85 with the needle in every position. I have also tryed setting the timing chain to the correct position a number of times and it will run but the idle is jumpy so I dont know if that is the problem or not. I cannot even adjust the air fuel screw it will bog too bad with it out at all even with the 78 jet in. I have been messing with it for 2 days now and every combinaton I have tryed just runs poorly, bogs on the low end, cuts out high end, I am feed up. I have read every post having to do with jetting and it has not helped much. Any suggestions ie jets, timing new carb. Thanks

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
i think the problem is the polished head, it needs to be somewhat rough for the feul and air to mix well. you may have an intake leak, depanding upon where you are the 78 should be the one you want. so DID you set the timing properly? T on the flywheel, and the O lining up PERFECTLy with the notch?

DID you reset the valves gaps at .003" ?

get back asap!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the intake is roughed up and the exhuast is smooth. The timing seems to be right on, lined up perfect. And the valves are gapped at .004 cause that was the smallest feeler guage I had. I put the stock carb back on and it runs flawlessly. The stock carb is jetted slightly larger but otherwise stock. I think I just got a bad carb? The plug was sooty black with the other aftermarket carb and running extremely rich. Maybe I should go with a smaller pilot? Thanks

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
what airfilter you got? gas octane and age? oil? does the intake port match the head? well i think its all in the ajustments, you must have the idle and feul screw all messed up. start with the feul screw at 1 1/2 turns out from stopped and then set the idle. hows the throttle cable and throttle? do you have the right ones, and is the cable ajusted properly?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I run a brand new takagawa k&n style filter, 91 octane, the intake was ground then measured to match, brand new throttle cable and I have tryed messing with the cable but is there a rule of thumb on how to set it? I tryed to run the aftermarket carb before the head was ported and had the same symtoms, running rich, poor idle, stays reved up after throttle is released even after lubing throttle cable. With the fuel screw even out a 1/4 turn it bogs really bad when you open the throttle all the way. Thank you for your help five0

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
Dude,

I bet your cable is wrong for the throttle keeping your slide up slightly.there is no possible way to tune your carb if this is the situation. you will have to get the right cable, this is common and happens alot of time. Also your plugg should be light tan in color. if it is still black it is way to rich. go down two jet sizes and your clip should be in the middle position " Technicly" to run normal. Also check to see if any of your carb ports are clogged...Take out all the jets Needle, pilot and main also choke and spray all the holes with carb cleaner )even a new carb can be dirty. It is possible to have a bum carb too.

Late >>>>>>>>>OLDSCHOOL

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
what he said......im thinkin that if you switch out throttle cables you should be fine....make sure it isnt catching on anything either.make sure your needle isnt bent either. tht could hold the slide in a position where it wont sit all the way down and give you a false idle. and if your plug was black...you dont need to be going up in jets...you need to go down!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I understand the jetting part of it but that is not the problem. Either the carb is just too big or like oldschool said my throttle cable is messed up. Like i said in my original post I have tryed all jets with no luck. I put the stock carb back on and it runs like a champ nice light brown plug, good idle and damn that ported head rips. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
oops.....

i have a 20mm carb on my 72 so i dont think thats the problem. its a carb issue, id guess the float may be out of ajustment, or theres something clogging the carb. try to blow it all out with commpressed air. or return the carb and tell them that theres something wrong with it.

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
your stock carb should be jetted different if you have a BB kit and Pipe on your bike........ :roll:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, by telling you that while running the stock carb with a larger jet in it, I was hoping that you could help me figure out why the larger carb was running too rich. But I give up I am sh*t canning the 75cc, the stock carb, 18mm carb and doing what I should have done along time ago and buying a name brand 88cc BB kit, a new pipe and possible a new head. Again thank you for you time, attitude and help.

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
I ran a KITACO 88 kit with my stock carb for a long time and it ran wicked good. Bigger isn't always better with a carb in the low bore kits. run your setup with the stock carb and just mess with your gearing. All the 18mm cab will do is take a little low end away and give you a little more top end. Save your money and buy a TB or SE 88 kit the biggest difference your going to notice is when you bolt a preformance head + carb and Cam to your bike..........BIG difference..... :wink: so go with what you got now. Save your money and do it right.

Later.........OLDSCHOOL

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I have ridden the Kitaco 88 before and loved the power all in the right places. I run a 15 tooth front sprocket but was wondering what would you recommend for the rear. That sik 50 sprocket is calling my name but unsure on what size. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.