PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep...I've definitely been infected with the 50 sickness :D I just picked up a new CRF50 today, and I love it. It was pretty gutless at first, but I threw on a new air filter, a Hyper CDI and some Pro Taper clamps and bars, and it's got a lot more power now. My nephew had to swing by to check it out, too bad his mom wouldn't let him take it for a spin :lol: Maybe he should wait until he can touch the ground though.

This is my first 50, and I have a few questions.

1) We bought a Twin Air air filter, and installed it pretty painlessly. But we noticed a hose coming from the stock filter, to a little rubber box, and then into the engine. Do you guys take this off? If so, wouldn't there be a hole in the engine from where the hose used to be? Or do you leave it and plug it up? Right now we have it plugged up with a screw, but if we dont need it, we might as well take it off, right?

2) We also bought the Pro Taper Mini Racer kit with bars, clamps, cables, etc. The only problem is, the number plate no longer snaps in and looks as good as it did when it was stock. Right now we have it being held by a zip tie, but I was wondering what you guys usually do about that?

3) I'm thinking about getting a Takegawa 88cc kit for $450 at a local shop. Is this a good kit for the money? Is $450 a good price for this kit? This kit also does not come with a head, so would I have to get machine work done to the head in order for it to work with this kit?

4) Last one, lol. Do most people usually take off their chain guards right away before they break? Just curious.

Thanks a lot guys, looking forward to this disease :D Oh, and heres a couple more pics so far.

My nephew checks out the beast :D

It's nothing compared to everyone else's 50s, but it's a start :lol:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Don't plug the hole up, leave it or if you really want to you can buy a filter for it from an auto parts store.

Do not buy that kit, unless you wanna spend that kind of money on an underpowered kit. If you go with Trail Bikes you could get a kit for the same price WITH a head.

and about your front number plate, cut the part that snaps into the clamp off and just zip tie it thru one of the slits and to your clamp, it'll probally look better than it does now.

G

·
what kinda oil is on the twin air, and that clamp on the twin air, it looks like the filter isnt on right, this happened to mine, all u hafta do is slide the clamp back a little bit and THEN screw it in,

the kid in the background looks SO jealous

on the chain gaurd, just leave it on, save ure jeans, i dont like the look of it without it personally,

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
1. DONT plug the breather hole, get a small hose/vent filter, or cut the end off the box and put the foam from the stock filter in it.

2. cut the top thing off, put two holes on both sides and put zipties around the uppers.

3. its a decent kit, over priced, but good. no you dont have to do any head work, but a good porting helps out tons!

4.why take it off if it isnt broken? not like its not doing ANYTHing.

5. check out www.ministothemax.com theres tips, FREE mods, and reviews to help out!

later!

stanton

·
Registered
938 Posts
CRSpeedy said:
We also bought the Pro Taper Mini Racer kit with bars, clamps, cables, etc. The only problem is, the number plate no longer snaps in and looks as good as it did when it was stock. Right now we have it being held by a zip tie, but I was wondering what you guys usually do about that?

a nice clean way to take care of that is too just cut the whole top portion of the # plate off, so it just goes straight across on top. then look behind the plate and you will see these little tabs sticking out, one on each fork. just drill a little hole in those to put a zip tie through and go around each fork. this way you dont have any visible holes in the plate, keeping it nice and clean looking. :wink:

·
Registered
778 Posts
wellcome aboard the sickness mate. about the 88kit. if you want to kit to produce all the power you can get out of it you might want to get an after market pipe first, or when u purchasethe kit. Some peole may disagree with me but this is what i have been taught. see to get the most power there are the three main elements.

1) big bore kit, for it to function well you need more air in so it can breath well and take full gaspes of air, so u need the exposed filter.

2) exposed filter, put the exposed filter on and ur big bore can breath in great but it still cant breath out, so u need the exhust.

3) after market exhust, put it on and the wider diameter of the exhust allows your kit to put out all that air it sucked in so then the kit is fully functional and is putitng out all the power it can.

I hope this can help you down the road as you are building up your bike. Enjoy the ride and have fun.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
minimx111 said:
1) big bore kit, for it to function well you need more air in so it can breath well and take full gaspes of air, so u need the exposed filter.

2) exposed filter, put the exposed filter on and ur big bore can breath in great but it still cant breath out, so u need the exhust.

3) after market exhust, put it on and the wider diameter of the exhust allows your kit to put out all that air it sucked in so then the kit is fully functional and is putitng out all the power it can.
for it to funtion at maximum efficency a air filter on a bore kit is a near must, or modified stock. but the problem is the tiny stock carb, a bigger carb lets more air/feul flow. a "performance" airfilter just makes less restriction before the carb

need or NEED? modify the stocker, or spend another 250$ on a exaust system. yea they help, but on a budget naah...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
like I said get the TB big bore kit with the head and a high output oil pump with some stiff clutch springs, and just modify the stock exhaust until you have the green to buy a exhaust.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the help guys :D

The big bore kit definitely sounds like a better deal from TB, although I must admit, I'm a little scared of putting a whole new head on. Thumper engines scare me, lol. As for exhaust, I'm thinking that will have to wait until later down the road...plus, I've got about 30 miles of single track dirt trails (no motor vehicles of course) behind my house, but it gets close to houses in places and I'd like to be as stealthy as possible but still be fast.

Fay Myers isn't my favorite shop in the world, but since Vickery doesn't sell Hondas, and Fay Myers was only a 10 minute drive, we decided on them. They do have quite a few 50 parts/mods, and they were the only ones with 05's, which was only $80 more for an 05 versus an 04 so we decided the resell value would be worth the difference.

Thanks again for the info, I'm already planning on going to the shop tomorrow to check out some more parts. Uh oh :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.