PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stock 50 hasnt been running too good. It all started after I took that metal plate off in the airbox thats on the screen between the air filter and the piece that connects to the back of the carb. I have the metal piece in the airbox that holds the airfilter in cut so that its open all the way around and there isnt any restriction but I didnt have any problems after I did it(probably 2 months ago). I also put the clip in the needle down a notch after I took the plate off so that more gas would go in. Yesterday I sprayed carb cleaner in the bottom of the gas cap to blow anything out that might be stuck in the top (because I didnt have a hose on there since I lost the gas cap vent thing somewhere that cost $14 :x ) So after I did that it ran pretty good since there was probably dirt or something in there. It didnt really bog much anymore. But the main problem im having now and had before is it still wont stay at a steady idle (it revs up and down) and it usually doesnt want to start unless I bump start it. If I get it started with the kickstarter it revs up right away and then it goes to an unsteady idle. It still occasionally bogs down if I hit the gas kinda hard (it didnt do it before I took the plate off). I wasnt jumping at all yesterday but when I land usually or hit bumps it bogs down. Ive had the carb apart and cleaned it a few times. Ive changed the spark plug a couple times incase that was the problem. I checked the valves and they seemed ok. I clean and oil the airfilter quite often. I put gasket sealer between the carb and intake manifold (both sides of the plastic piece inbetween them) in case there was an air leak. What could it be? The needle position? Air screw adjustment? Sorry its so long I wanted to include all the details. Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ill keep messing with the adjustments.Could it just be an adjustment as the reason its not starting easy though? I havent had the head or anything off but do you think it could be something inside the engine (like rings or valves)? Its not smoking at all.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
five0addict said:
well what do you mean by the seemed ok? do you know what it feels like when set correctly? that is important.

I checked the valves with a feeler guage. They were right around where they were suppose to be. I didnt mess with them at all. But the thing is it was running fine before I did the thing with the plate in the airbox. Im going to make sure my carb and airfilter is clean today and then mess with the adjustments. I just wasnt sure if it could be a broke ring as to why its not starting easy. When I put my finger over the spark plug hole and kick it over it blows my finger off a little like its suppose to. So im just going to mess around with the carb and see if it makes a difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.